dismiss

Arthur's Britain: History And…

Arthur's Britain: History And Archaeology a.D. 367-634 (Penguin… (original 1971; edition 2001)

by Leslie Alcock (Author)

We are all familiar with the heroic deeds and enchantments of the legendary tales surrounding King Arthur. But what evidence is there for a real figure beneath the myth and romance? Arthur's Britain assembles a wealth of information about the history of Arthur by delving into the shadowy period in which he lived. Drawing on evidence from written and archaeological sources, Leslie Alcock, who directed the famous excavation at Cadbury Castle in Somerset, England, sifts history from fiction to take us back to life between the fourth and seventh centuries. He also provides fascinating detail on how the Britons actually lived, worshipped, dressed, and fought to uncover the real world and people behind the Arthurian legends.… (more)
Member:JonFarley
Title:Arthur's Britain: History And Archaeology a.D. 367-634 (Penguin Classic History S.)
Authors:Leslie Alcock (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2001), Edition: New edition, 496 pages
Tags:arthurian

Arthur's Britain by Leslie Alcock (Author) (1971)

It turned out to be more textbooky than I expected but still a very interesting account of the textual and archeological evidence of life and times in Arthurian Britain. There was precious little about Arthur, though Alcock mostly comes down on the side of his existence. An interesting read, dragged in places and I wish I knew more British geography, but worth the effort.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
A good archaeological look at early 6th Century Britain, with interesting illustration of the Sutton Hoo armour set. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 25, 2013 |
INDEX; BIBLIOGRAPHY; MAPS; PHOTOGRAPHS; ILLUSTRATED
  saintmarysaccden | May 9, 2013 |
What a thorough look at how the literature of King Arthur ties into archaeology around Britain. This book is more skeptical that there is any real connection between King Arthur and the history of Britain. ( )
1 vote MorgannaKerrie | Aug 6, 2006 |

Alcock, LeslieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hofer, EvelynCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To my colleagues in

the University of Wales

In gratitude

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,644,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible