Tips for Living by Renee Shafransky

Tips for Living

by Renee Shafransky

Nora fell in love with and married a famous artist, becoming his muse for some of his most successful work before he ends up leaving her for a woman he had an affair with who also happens to be pregnant with his child. Nora flees the city for some peace and quiet, but that is all ruined when her ex and his new wife move into that same small town. Nora tried to behave like an adult about it all, but things quickly changed when her ex and his wife were brutally murdered in their new home. It was an interesting tale of who did it and how this case was solved, mainly due to Nora's efforts. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Apr 9, 2018 |
3.5 Nora and Hugh, an up and coming artist, have been together for twelve years though married for only one. Nora finds out that no only had Hugh cheated on her but he is going to have a child with that woman, something Nora had badly wanted for herself. She moves away, works at a small town new paper writing a column called Tips for Living. A big tourist town, the population swells in the summer, she is gutted when Hugh, his new wife and young daughter a!so move to this town that she calls home. When husband and wife are brutally murdered, Nora becomes the prime suspect.

There is a friendly, familiar tone to this mystery. It is inviting, easy to read. One can't help but like and feel for Nora. There is also that small town flavor, everyone knowing each others business, reminded me a little of the town in which I live. It is not edge of your seat suspenseful, no big flashy scenes, just a slow unraveling of the secrets some are keeping, including Nora herself. I enjoyed this, it was refreshingly simple and different.

ARC from Netgalley. ( )
  Beamis12 | Mar 29, 2018 |
Lindas Book Obsession Review of “Tips For Living” by Renee Shafransky
By Linda Zagon

Kudos to debut author Renee Shafransky for a suspenseful, captivating, and intriguing novel “Tips For Living” :A Novel Of Suspense.(Lake Union Publishing: February 1,2018).
The genres for “Tips For Living” are Mystery and Suspense, Thriller,and Fiction. The timeline of the story is in the present, and told only in the past when it pertains to the characters or events. The
Story takes place in Pequod,a small town that attracts many summer tourists that live in expensive summer homes.
The author describes her characters as complex and complicated. Nora Glasser is a resident and writes a news column in the Pequod Paper, for “Tips on Living”. Nora has been betrayed by her famous ex- husband who is a renowned artist, when he not only had an affair, but got his mistress pregnant. Hoping to leave her humiliation, anger, hurt, and resentment behind, she has moved from New York City to Pequod. She becomes angered when she finds that her ex-husband and wife have bought an expensive home in Pequod, where she lives.
In the past when Nora gets stressed, she has been known to sleepwalk. Nora also has the responsibility and expense of taking care of her beloved elder aunt.
Trouble starts when both Nora’s ex-husband High Walker and his present wife are found dead in their house. Who would be angry enough to kill them?
There is a colorful cast of characters and there are some that could be suspect. Unfortunately, the police are looking at Nora as the prime suspect. As a writer for a newspaper, Nora usually has the gut instincts in certain matters. What is troubling, is Nora doesn’t remember where she was at the time of the murders. Has Nora started sleep-walking? Why is Nora all scratched up? What can Nora do to protect herself, if she doubts her memories?
There are twists and turns and highs and lows in this novel. I was so engrossed I finished this novel in one sitting. I didn’t want to stop reading. Several major characters seem to have dark secrets and motivations to be the killer. What about Nora? I found this book to be entertaining, full of mystery, thrilling, full of suspense, intense and mesmerizing. I would highly recommend this novel for those readers that appreciate a suspenseful, and thrilling mystery. I would like to thank Lake Union Publishing and Author Renee Shafransky for an Advanced Reading Copy for my honest review. I really have to say I was surprised who the killer is. Happy Reading! ( )
  teachlz | Oct 30, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,653,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible