Edward and the Pirates by David McPhail

Edward and the Pirates

by David McPhail

295738,184 (4)1

Loving the fact that Edward enjoys reading so much. He reads so much that the stories he has read become part of his imagination. ( )
  Krguarisco | Nov 13, 2012 |
This story is creatively written and proved to be an enticing read for both children, adults, and everything in between. It is full of encouraging ideas and beautiful illustrations. The story begins by introducing the idea of reading unconventional materials. Sure, we all say we’re reading things like labels of cereal boxes and directions on seed packets but do we really think of that as READING? This could be a new concept to consider. After the author introduces the idea of reading being an everyday activity, we are then presented with reading as an adventure. The main character, Edward, immerses himself into reading so much that he believes he is a character in his stories. He is the one who holds up Joan of Arc's sheild to protect her, he is there with Robin Hood and Friar Tuck, he is a major part of the stories he reads. The author encourages the readers to make the stories they choose to read real. If we were to use our imaginations while reading, we too can enjoy reading like Edward does. In the end, we have an imaginative and inspiring narrative on our hands.

Details: This book was written to interest children in grades K-3 and is considered to be a 4.8 reading level. ( )
  vwhitt | Aug 24, 2012 |
Engaging story of a young boy who loves reading everything and anything. After reading about pirates, his imagination takes him an exciting adventure. Great story and wonderful illustrations. For ages 4 to 8.
  anacryan | Dec 5, 2011 |
Once Edward has learned to read, books and his vivid imagination provide him with great adventures. ( )
  ogemahgesr | Aug 3, 2011 |
Edward loves to read. He reads anything that he can get his hands on. One night while reading a book he checked out at the library Edward finds himself surrounded by pirates who want the book he is reading. ( )
  aflanig1 | Jul 23, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316563447, Hardcover)

David McPhail--award-winning author and illustrator of more than 40 books, including Santa's Book of Names--has created another delightful book about Edward, a voracious reader of anything he can get his hands on, even seed catalogs in a pinch. One night, while reading a book about pirates, Edward finds himself surrounded by the salty sailors who think his book might tell them where their treasure is buried. They beg, threaten, and bribe him to no avail, but when Edward's father scares the pirates with a shower of arrows, Edward feels sorry for them and relinquishes the book. As it turns out, the pirates can't read, so Edward reads the book aloud to them. Kids will love the big, dramatic paintings (moody acrylics on canvas) and the rollicking story of how, with a little imagination, a book can come to life. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:01 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible