dismiss

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for…

by Robin DiAngelo (Author), Michael Eric Dyson (Foreword)

The New York Times best-selling book exploring the counterproductive reactions white people have when their assumptions about race are challenged, and how these reactions maintain racial inequality. In this "vital, necessary, and beautiful book" (Michael Eric Dyson), antiracist educator Robin DiAngelo deftly illuminates the phenomenon of white fragility and "allows us to understand racism as a practice not restricted to 'bad people' (Claudia Rankine). Referring to the defensive moves that white people make when challenged racially, white fragility is characterized by emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and by behaviors including argumentation and silence. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium and prevent any meaningful cross-racial dialogue. In this in-depth exploration, DiAngelo examines how white fragility develops, how it protects racial inequality, and what we can do to engage more constructively.… (more)
Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Authors:Robin DiAngelo (Author)
Other authors:Michael Eric Dyson (Foreword)
Info:Beacon Press (2018), Edition: Reprint, 192 pages

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo

adult, nonfiction, ebook
  J.H.Dahler | Jul 6, 2020 |
(32) This was powerful sociology regarding the dominant American system of white supremacy - very clearly laid out almost in inarguable terms by a white writer. The premise is that de facto we live in a racist system where the white identity and experience are the central narrative and this continues to confer privileges to white Americans regardless of how we grew up, what we profess to believe, or how many people of color we count among our friends and family. Racism is not a hateful act by an individual directed at a member of another 'race,' - but instead a system under which all of us who are identified as white live. Race is a social construct having been defined by governments/science to support an unethical economic system of plunder and slavery. It partly explains some of the reasonings why anti-blackness (i.e. those of African ancestry) is so much stronger than other dark-skinned peoples - Asian, etc.

I felt that this powerful of a treatise written by a white person made me automatically identify (bc I am racist, right.) and identify with the many defensive postures she pointed out and really inspired me to take a deeper look at myself - I am not already 'past' all this because of education.

My only complaint about this book and which I am finding in many non-fiction/sociology-type books is it is - repetitive. Almost every chapter was itself again written ever so slightly differently. I feel like you pull any chapter out of this book and it would stand alone and would be a stand-in for the whole book. So it felt overmuch and bloated which account for the star off. Maybe even more of a 3-3.5 caliber in terms of quality - but the message and argument were so persuasive and spot-on in my opinion.

Anyway, I needed to read this book. I wonder if all whites would be receptive - I think you have to have already come so far to be able to hear this or to select this title, right? You are not bad if you feel the ways mentioned in this book - now move on, and work for justice. Bravo! ( )
  jhowell | Jul 4, 2020 |
I bit the bullet and read White Fragility and found it to be both intuitively simple and mind-opening. I am a touchy woman. I don't take criticism easily - from anyone. So I can see the advice of the book working equally with confronting one's own racism and with dealing with any interpersonal relationship. The idea is that the white race is a distinction created by people needing to separate themselves from the slaves that they owned. We in the US have grown up steeped in racism, which we might not even know exists, if we're white. She describes white privilege, which I pretty much understood already. I once was stopped by a couple of police cars while I was out working at night, wearing a hoodie, and the situation was easily resolved, in spite of some fumbling moves of my own that might have got me killed if I were a black man, when they gave me the benefit of the doubt, seeing that I'm a helpless old white woman. So, that part was made very clear to me. What I have always had a hard time with is that I might unintentionally give offense in my everyday actions. I always assume people know who I am and realize that I'm a kind of prickly person but mean no offense. The book gently brings home the idea that I have no right to expect such assumptions from others. I am an intelligent person and have the obligation to examine situations and control my own actions. It's a very interesting book and helpful in many ways. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jul 3, 2020 |
This book made me think and challenged many of my beliefs. Yes, there were times I disagreed with the words, but a good book about racism should make the reader question and learn. Not everyone is ready to hear what this author has to say, but if you're open to examining your own racism, this will help. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jul 3, 2020 |
I thought this book was helpful in giving me a framework to understand my racism and recognize it in others. It also helped me to understand my own fear and discomfort around issues of race. I came out of reading it with several terms that I'll bring with me in my continued anti-racism journey.

However, this book had a very corporate feel and a lot of the suggestions and solutions related to interpersonal relationships seemed robotic and silly. ( )
  Juva | Jul 2, 2020 |
CHOTINER: So you consider yourself a racist right now?

DiANGELO: Yes. I will always have a racist worldview and biases. The way I look at it is I’m really clear that I do less harm than I used to. I perpetrate that racism less often. I’m not defensive at all when I realize—whether myself or it’s been brought to my attention—that I’ve just perpetrated a piece of it. I have really good repair skills. None of those are small things because they mean I do less harm.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Isaac Chotiner (Aug 2, 2018)

These ceremonials in honor of white supremacy, performed from babyhood, slip from the conscious mind down deep into muscles . . . and become difficult to tear out. - Lillian Smith, Killers of the Dream (1949)
I am a white American raised in the United States. I have a white frame of reference and a white worldview, and I move through the world with a white experience. My experience is not a universal human experience.
[Foreword] One metaphor for race, and racism, won't do.
[Author's Note] The United States was founded on the principle that all people are created equal.
I am a white woman.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin DiAngelo's book White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible