The 49th Mystic (Beyond the Circle) by Ted…

The 49th Mystic (Beyond the Circle)

by Ted Dekker

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read the Circle Trilogy I was really curious about this book. Once again, the fiction is amazing and wonderful. However, some of the religious teachings are a bit of a struggle for me to accept. If I can read the next book it may change so I'll see what happens. ( )
  cheetosrapper | Aug 12, 2018 |
Ted Dekker is the one who got me hooked on reading many many years ago with his circle series. The 49th Mystic is a continuation of that series. Naturally, I was stoked to be able to read this book. It had everything I remember from the original series.

When Rachelle falls asleep she wakes up in another reality and vise versa. She is faced with saving both of her worlds and using them to them each other. The Christian allegory is strong with this story and it’s beautiful.

While I did like the book, I liked the original better. Although, given that it was the first set of books that got me interested in reading, it’s a pretty tough act to follow even for a sequal series. The sheer nostalgia alone was enough for me to like this book. However, I believe someone unfamiliar with the story would pick it up just fine. ( )
  brittanywilson622 | Jul 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved it! Very good story as only Dekker can tell it. He has a way of getting at the truth with deep characters and it's just hard to explain. I love the way he uses scripture in the story and how the characters make their way through each crisis they face. It is evident that God is a part of the storytelling and I like that a lot. Looking forward to Book 2 later this year. ( )
  rjmoren | Jun 27, 2018 |
Ted Dekker is the master of explaining Truth through story. I love that this time he has included Scripture, lots of it, at the end of the book to clearly connect it to the lessons learned by his protagonist, Rachelle, and hopefully his reader. For those reading this review and thinking, “Oh no, another thinly veiled sermon,” no fear! Just like Tolkien, Dekker is a beyond first rate storyteller. Fantasy and sci-fi fans will be enthralled.
Blinded at a young age in the secluded and protected small town of Eden, Rachelle hopes to regain her sight through a controversial procedure. It seems ominous that the timing of the procedure coincides with the outbreak of chaos in the world outside the confines of Eden. Rachelle is also plagued by dreams in which a presence she labels as Shadowman threatens to continue to blind her each time she regains her sight. When he shows up at the hospital under the guise of Vlad Smith and places a smear of Rachelle's blood in one of the Books of History, her life, and the lives of all of Eden's residents, runs off the rails. Only through learning her true identity and finding the five seals as directed by someone in the other earth to which she travels each time she dreams will Rachelle be able to restore order.
I am very grateful to NetGalley and Revell Books for providing me with a copy of The 49th Mystic in exchange for an honest review. I received no monetary compensation, and was under no obligation to provide a positive review. I highly recommend this book, along with The Circle Series. ( )
  claudia.castenir | Jun 12, 2018 |
Sixteen-year-old Rachelle Matthews lives in Eden, Utah. Or does she?

When she sleeps, she’s in another reality, another world. Is this world her true home? And what of Eden? Could they both be real?

Rachelle is the prophesied 49th Mystic, the one who must find and recover the five ancient seals, whether they exist in the alternate reality of her dream world or in the home she knows as Eden. If she can do this before time runs out, there will be peace. If not, darkness will prevail in both worlds.

The story of the 49th mystic alternates between the world of Eden where Rachelle lives with her father, David, and the alternate reality she knows only in her dreams. The story ends on a cliffhanger; readers should look for the conclusion in “The Rise of the Mystics,” scheduled to be released in October. But the cliffhanger ending doesn’t detract from the amazing narrative unfolding in the pages of this first volume in the series. There are so many nuances to the story, so much truth scattered within the adventures; this absorbing, riveting narrative will challenge readers to examine truth in a new light. It’s can’t-put-it-down spectacular, a book you won’t want to miss.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | May 25, 2018 |

"Some say the great mystery of how one can live in two worlds at once died with Thomas Hunter many years ago ... In the small town of Eden, Utah, a blind girl named Rachelle Matthews is about to find out just how wrong. When a procedure meant to restore Rachelle's sight goes awry, she begins to dream of another world so real that she wonders if Earth might only be a dream experienced when she falls asleep in that reality. Who is a simple blind girl to have such strange and fantastic dreams? She's the prophesied one who must find and recover five ancient seals, in both worlds, before powerful enemies destroy her. If Rachelle succeeds in her quest, peace will reign. If she fails, both worlds will forever be locked in darkness"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ted Dekker's book The 49th Mystic is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,837,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible