Justice Betrayed by Patricia Bradley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fun summer read. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and the relationships. Hoping for a continuing series and an opportunity to learn more about the side characters. ( )
  mnegranza | Jul 29, 2018 |
I have enjoyed this series set in Memphis as I can can picture many of the places that they wind up. I think it would be great to finally solve a cold case, but would hate to have the case hanging over me as it waits to be solved and would hate it even more to realize that someone was still out there and was still killing. Rachel soon finds out that there is more to her mother's death as she meets up with an Elvis impersonator. She soon finds herself looking into it again as another murder occurs and she has to work together with someone from her past before anything happens again.
I received a copy from the publisher, the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Jul 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fantastic suspense! This book not only had wonderful messages that make you think, but it had intensity and gripping plot lines. This book was a roller coaster of ups, downs, ins and outs as I turned each page with a white knuckled grip! Ms. Bradley has once again managed to create a breath quickening, heart pounding, blood boiling suspense novel and fill it with just what her fans love! Four stars, and hats off to a highly talented author! ( )
  JboyzMom | Jul 10, 2018 |
I received this book in my fresh fiction box in July. All opinions are my own. After opening the box filled with books I couldn't resist picking this one up! A cold case murder mystery right in the middle of Elvis week. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Justice Betrayed by Patricia Bradley. Rachel Sloan is a homicide detective for Memphis PD. At the end of her shift an Elvis impersonator shows up and asks to speak with her, he believes he has information on a murder 17 years ago that may be linked to her mother's death. Only the next day Rachel is informed the Elvis impersonator is murdered. One investigation leads to links to three other murders and a near death experience for Rachel and her father. Just when things couldn't get more complicated with her ex boyfriend now boss everything begins to unravel Rachel it all gets very complicated and quickly Rachel finds herself the next target of the murderer. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Jul 4, 2018 |
Not being familiar with Bradley's writing, I was unsure of what to expect when I picked up this book. But given the fact that I love a good mystery as much, if not more, than the next reader, I was excited to give Justice Betrayed a read. I was not disappointed!

The book starts off with a super compelling scene in the prologue which instantly grabbed my attention. And it doesn't stop. The tension and suspense mount until the climax which I thought was really great.

Characters
The characters are well-formed, for the most part. They're relatable and you get to like them. Even the villain finds a bit of a soft spot in your heart as you see what they endured as a child. Obviously, I didn't condone the actions, but I could feel a little empathy. The protagonist, Detective Rachel Sloan, is a great lead character that I really liked getting to know in these pages.

Romance
As this is marketed under the "Romantic Suspense" genre, there is a small element of a romantic interest between a couple main characters, but I didn't feel like it got in the way of the plot or story in any way. Though there were a few moments that were a tad too sappy for my personal taste, they were easy to overlook because it was never a prolonged scene; only little mentions here and there.

Plot
Even though I had figured out "whodunit" before the reveal, I still enjoyed they way Bradley wrote the scenes leading up to it. Rather than a letdown feeling, I instead had a feeling of satisfaction that I had "solved the case". Although there weren't lots of twists and turns and red herrings, there were lots of little clues given along the way which made this a very enjoyable mystery.

Content Advisory
There is no strong language or sexual content at all. However, the story has scenes of domestic violence, both depicted and referenced. There are also numerous murders (kind of required for a murder mystery) including one scene which contains the actual commission of murder described rather vividly. Due to these elements, I don't recommend this for readers under 16.

NOTE: This is Book 3 in the Memphis Cold Case series. I have not read the previous two volumes and I didn't come across anything that would make me think I was missing necessary information to understand what was going on in this book. I believe each book can be read independently.

Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jonnydollar77 | Jul 3, 2018 |

It's Elvis Week in Memphis, and homicide Detective Rachel Sloan isn't sure her day could get any stranger when aging Elvis impersonator Vic Vegas asks to see her. But when he produces a photo of her murdered mother with four Elvis impersonators--one of whom had also been murdered soon after the photo was taken--she's forced to reevaluate. Is there some connection between the two unsolved cases? And could the recent break-in at Vic's home be tied to his obsession with finding his friend's killer? When yet another person in the photo is murdered, Rachel suddenly has her hands full investigating three cases. Lieutenant Boone Callahan offers his help, but their checkered romantic past threatens to get in the way. Can they solve the cases before the murderer makes Rachel victim number four?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patricia Bradley's book Justice Betrayed is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible