The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker

The Edge of Over There (edition 2018)

by Shawn Smucker (Author)

Member:readerbynight
Title:The Edge of Over There
Authors:Shawn Smucker (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:life, death, future, heaven, tree of life, fear, heroic

The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker

Four years after The Day the Angels Fell Sam and Abra have grown apart, and Abra’s search for the tree of life begins anew.

Shawn Smucker immediately draws the reader into this new journey of discovery as now-adult Sam hears the story of Abra’s quest.

A book that kept me invested from the beginning (in part due to the knack Smucker has to leave readers wanting more at the end of every chapter) and enjoyed to the final pages. Can’t wait for the next installment of this series.

A clean, attention-grabbing read that will keep teen and adult noses stuck in the pages, The Edge Over There examines the state of our souls through the eyes of Abra, Sam, and some new friends.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Jul 19, 2018 |
The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker
This review is based on an Advance Reading Copy (ARC)

I am very taken with this book, totally unexpected, vibrating with intensity, and a fascinating story. Even from the beginning you know this is going to be an interesting book. I get the feeling that had I read the previous book "The Day the Angels Fell," it would have amplified everything I read in this book. But perhaps this book was already amplified from the beginning. Not having read the previous book may not have clarified this one. All I know for sure is The Edge is what is important. I am in awe with what the author has portrayed with the characters and the landscape.

There is so much going on in this book. Family relations, heroic children, the ocean that takes you Over There, the Tree of Life, the realities and the possibilities. Shawn Smucker has written a wonderfully positive book. As mentioned, the book I am reviewing here is an Advance Reading Copy. I can't help but wonder at what may appear in the final version. I expect the characters will become full-grown, and many questions will be answered. ( )
  readerbynight | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book took me out of my comfort zone as I entered the fantasy worlds created within The Edge of Over There. Abra Miller may be young, but she’s been chosen to carry the sword. So, when another Tree of Life appears she must enter the gateway between her world and Over There to destroy it. But who can she trust? And will she destroy it in time?

The Edge of Over There is book two of The Day the Angels Fell series so I was worried I would be lost jumping right into the middle of the series, especially given the fantastical nature of this read, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easily I was drawn into Abra’s orbit as she balances the mysterious characters that enter her life with her responsibilities to destroy the life-giving trees.

Author, Shawn Smucker has incredible eye for detail as he creates a purgatory-type world, full of characters, conflict and separation. The world Smucker has created may be fiction, but his style of writing makes it feel so real, the landscape, magic sword and angelic characters blended seamlessly into the story making it feel like a suspenseful read in the heart of fantasy.

For the full review, visit: https://fortheloveofthepageblog.wordpress.com/

*Disclaimer: A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JillRey | Jul 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't get a chance yet to read the first book in the series but I read this one and it was really enjoyable! It wasn't completely confusing and there was enough background information given that I could follow along without having read the first book. The characters were interesting and unique and well written. It was a good read, not too challenging and I will certainly go back to pick up the first book of Smucker's!

I received this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Air_557 | Jun 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this, and I definitely really liked how the author set up the book in a way that provided background knowledge. Everything was incredibly interesting and original, but there were definitely a lot of characters which may be a bit difficult to keep up with. Although, I really loved how they all had their own stories and personalities. ( )
  Shammy777 | Jun 4, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Shawn Smucker's book The Edge of Over There is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,312,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible