A Rumored Fortune by Joanna Davidson…

A Rumored Fortune (edition 2018)

by Joanna Davidson Politano (Author)

Member:milibrarian
Title:A Rumored Fortune
Authors:Joanna Davidson Politano (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:romance, hidden fortunes, Victorian England

A Rumored Fortune by Joanna Davidson Politano

Tressa Harlowe's father did not trust banks, but neither did he trust his greedy extended family. He kept his vast fortune hidden somewhere on his estate in the south of England and died suddenly, without telling anyone where he had concealed it. Tressa and her ailing mother are left with a mansion and an immense vineyard and no money to run it. It doesn't take long for a bevy of opportunists to flock to the estate under the guise of offering condolences. Tressa knows what they're really up to. She'll have to work with the rough and rusticated vineyard manager to keep the laborers content without pay and discover the key to finding her father's fortune--before someone else finds it first.

My Thoughts: This is the second novel for Author Joanna Davidson Politano and her books only get better and better! A story of intrigue, suspense, love, and lessons to be learned. Tressa and her mother are summoned home early from a trip abroad. Assuming that her father has called them home, Tressa is excited to see him again. When they do finally get home, she is met by a handsome stranger who comes to her aid and brings her to the castle only to find that her father has died. As she learns that Trevelyan has run into money problems she quickly starts searching for the hidden treasure; the only thing is, is that she isn't the only one. At the world of her father's death, everyone wants a piece of the treasure.

This is a gripping story that keeps the reader entertained throughout. It is full of twists and turns, that keeps the reader on edge wondering what will happen next.

The characters are well developed and very believable, as they interact with one another through the story-line,

At the beginning of each chapter, there is a nugget of wisdom that deals with horticulture and raising grapes but it also has a deeper meaning for what goes on in life. The characters also supported a great faith in God which is a good example for us in our own times of despair.

Tressa is a loveable character, and well portrayed in the novel. I can't imagine how hard it would be to trust in a time when it seems all people wanted was money. I think that she did an amazing job, with a few lessons learned.

I highly recommend this novel. I will certainly be looking for more from this author.

I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

MaryAnnB1964 | Mar 1, 2019 |
Everything about this book drew me to it - the amazing cover, title, synopsis . . . It had me hooked.

Our MCs, Tressa Harlowe and Donegan Vance are both interesting and unique characters. I loved Tressa's sweet spirit, artistic mind, and generous heart, and found myself relating to her a lot, especially on the artistic front. Donegan Vance was a very intriguing character, but he somehow fell flat to me. I think the author made him out to be such a bad guy in Tressa's mind that by the time we the readers discovered the truth about him, I was already adamant in my dislike of him. I think having more of his POV would have helped clear that issue up for me. More on that later.

The storyline and mystery were very intriguing, though I must admit, I was very confused for about 90% of the book, which lessened my enjoyment of it. I love a good mystery, but this one seemed . . . too mysterious, if such a thing is possible. I would have preferred a slightly quicker pace with the revelation of certain plot points a little sooner.

Politano's writing style is very beautiful and poetic, if a little overly detailed at times. The author chose a very unique style in that Tressa's POV was in 1st person, while Donegan's was in 3rd person. While I felt that it interrupted the story on occasion, overall, I think it worked quite well and was a unique change.

Overall, my favorite aspect of this book was the vine and vineyard analogies and metaphors, and the tie-ins to John 15. That is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, and I loved how the author wrapped so many beautiful metaphors into the story in a very subtle but effective, beautiful way.

All in all, while A Rumored Fortune wasn't a personal favorite of mine, I will say that Politano knows how to write a solid mystery, for which I give her kudos.

Recommended for ages 15 for mild romance

FTC disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
I have been eagerly anticipating this author’s second novel, and I was so excited to dive into this gem. And what a gem it is! I thoroughly enjoyed “A Rumored Fortune”, being swept away between its pages and taken on quite the journey. So much beauty, and heart. Main characters Tressa Harlowe and Donegan Vance were spectacular. I loved how Tressa’s portion (the majority of the novel) was in first person – it really flowed so nicely and bonded me even more to her. Third-person for Donegan’s portions was fantastic, too; the differences transitioned well, and you were never left with a feeling that it was incomplete or anything.
These characters complimented each other so well. Unlike Tressa, I fell for Donegan from his first words to her. ;)
I did really love their relationship, though! Sometimes her…resistance of him could get slightly frustrating, but I still understood her side of things – her hesitancy to enter into ANY sort of relationship with anyone.
The plot-line of this novel was so superb. And I loved the vineyard aspect of it. Just so much. Each time I read parts about the vineyard and its care, I could see so much significance and resemblance to how God cares for us, including the pruning seasons. It was just really beautiful and remarkable! I should have taken a photo of my copy from the side, because I had marked so many pages that had just the best quotes! I will share some in my blog post with this review, but even so, there are so many worthy ones. A must-read book. ( )
  RaechelLenore | Sep 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book and seeing how Tressa handled those who came acting one way and really wanting something else. She and her mother had to find a way to keep things going at their estate when her father died, leaving the family fortune hidden somewhere. Tressa had to figure out who to trust and and what her father did with all their money. I liked seeing how Tressa reasoned things out and wanted to find the fortune as well.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Sep 3, 2018 |
Sublime. This book was magnificent and absolutely wonderful. As I dove into it, I could feel echoes of the writings by Victoria Holt. The story was alive and I could feel myself standing there next to Tressa as she tried to sort through those who visited the home under the guise of help.

The story revolves around a hidden fortune and no one knows where the fortune is, except for Tress’s father. Unfortunately, her father drowned and took the secret with him. Now, it’s up to her to figure out the secrets of his books to see if she can decipher the hidden meanings. But in the meantime, she has characters from her relatives that are threatening to impeded her progress.

This is one author that I am eagerly awaiting her following book. The depth of information, the way she wove me into her story had me captivated. I’m ready for more.

I received this book from the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  sesquius | Aug 27, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joanna Davidson Politano's book A Rumored Fortune is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Joanna Davidson Politano is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible