Called to Protect (Blue Justice) by Lynette…

Called to Protect (Blue Justice) (edition 2018)

by Lynette Eason (Author)

Member:milibrarian
Title:Called to Protect (Blue Justice)
Authors:Lynette Eason (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 320 pages

Called to Protect by Lynette Eason

Lynette Eason is back with another action- and emotion-packed suspense novel - And this one does not disappoint. Even the cover is gorgeous.

I loved the two main characters. Blake MacCallum was a super sweet and incredibly realistic character, and I loved his daddy's heart and relationship with his daughter. Chloe is also a fabulous character; I loved her compassionate, empathetic heart mixed with a hefty dose of spunk. Chloe and Blake's relationship was spot-on. I appreciated the slow, sweet romance not based on physical attraction as opposed to the "insta-love" shallow romances portrayed in novels so frequently these days. The secondary cast of Brady, Linc, Izzy, etc, was great, as well. I loved the cameo appearances of Daniel Matthews and Quinn Holcombe (I may or may not have squealed when Quinn showed up on the rooftop. That was awesome. :D) from Eason's Elite Guardians series. Loved that touch, although I found it slightly odd that there weren't the same connections to that series in Oath of Honor.

The plot was sound and the action and suspense kept me reading. Finished this one in less than 24 hours. I was slightly concerned about the subject matter (human trafficking), but Eason did a wonderful job of showing this very real, relevant, and horrendous issue without going into too much gruesome detail. Living in one of the top areas for human trafficking in the country, this was very eye-opening.

Probably the thing I love most about this series is the family dynamic. Familysibling relationships are so infrequently portrayed in fiction, or if they are, they don't feel realistic. But the Blue Justice series does a great job with the family relationships, and the sibling banter is always epic.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed Called to Protect, and am on the edge of my seat waiting for book 3! Highly recommend this series.

CONTENT NOTE: Recommended for ages 17 . There is a fair amount of violence and some detailing of human trafficking, as well as some light romance. Girls are kidnapped, caged, starved, beaten, and sold. Mentions of some girls being more desirable because they are virgins. Lots of guns, attempted murder, bombs, etc. Also some light romance. A few hugs, not-detailed kisses, physical attraction, etc.

FTC DISCLOSURE: I received an electronic copy of this book from NetGalley. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book rather difficult to read due to the subject matter. Ms. Eason tackles the horrible subject of human trafficking – and the story is rather hard to read at times. It isn’t graphic – but just thinking about what was happening to these girls was hard to do. The book tells a good story – there is a little romance (very little) – and a good mystery. Although this is the second book in Lynette Eason’s Blue Justice series, it (and the first one) can be read as stand-alone novels. The family the series is about is engaging – so I will continue to read books in this series – but this one probably won’t be my favorite. I was given this book by LibraryThing and have tried to put my honest feelings in this review. ( )
  peggy.s | Aug 26, 2018 |
This is Book 2 in the Blue Justice series. I always love the books written by this author and have never been disappointed. I love a hole and Blake. They are so good together. It would be hard to be part of a cop family. I think everyone would expect so much from you. This topic of human trafficking is a very scary topic. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Aug 22, 2018 |
Like all of Lynette Eason's books, this one was another exceptional read. It was rather difficult at times because the subject matter is about human trafficking. It really put me on edge at times but it was definitely worth reading.

It was fun reading about the St. John family again. They are such a great family and I enjoyed getting to know them again. This book definitely stands alone but the first book in the Blue Justice series, Oath of Honor, is well worth reading if you haven't yet. I really enjoyed that book, too!

This book focuses on Chloe and her K-9, Hank. I really loved reading about how the police officers work closely with their dogs and I fell in love with Hank and all he could do. I also enjoyed Blake, who has been friends with the St. John family for years but is now relying on them in a professional capacity as his daughter has been kidnapped. Blake is a U.S. Marshall and the bad guys who have taken his daughter are demanding something of him that is beyond the pale.

I loved the character of Rachel, Blake's daughter. She is so complex. She is strong yet so desperate to feel loved and worth-while at the same time. I really like how the author makes her such a real person as she struggles with what has happened to her. As I said, because this focuses on human trafficking, there are a lot of tense moments in the book where I just wasn't sure I could plod on with the story, but I'm so glad I did. Yes, the hard moments are hard, but it's well worth the read and it was an enjoyable read - just difficult in places.

The story has so many twists and turns and just when you think that things are going to be solved, something new happens and you're off and running again with the characters of the book. It's definitely a fast paced book! I really enjoyed this and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

*This book was provided to me for my honest review by Revell Books ( )
  Julie.D | Aug 18, 2018 |
When Chloe St. John and her German Shepherd Hank are called to the scene of an accident, everyone is shocked at what they discover. US Marshall Blake MacCallum has trusted his secret to only one person—Chloe’s brother.

As Chloe and Blake join the task force to find human traffickers, protect a judge, and search for Blake’s daughter, they spend a lot of time together. Blake is impressed with Chloe’s capability (and he can’t help but notice she’s a pretty woman).

With plenty of high-stakes, intense situations (often with a few other St. Johns in the vicinity), Lynette Eason delivers another romantic suspense read that takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions, keeping heartrates raised until the final pages. Pulse-pounding suspense alongside strong family ties, and of course, the starting shoots of a romance for another St. John sibling.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Aug 13, 2018 |
Law Enforcement Oath of Honor: On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character, or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the constitution, my community, and the agency I serve.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lynette Eason's book Called to Protect is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,450,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible