The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of…

The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Jaclyn Moriarty (Author)

Member:marilynnt
Title:The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone
Authors:Jaclyn Moriarty (Author)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2018), 384 pages

The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty (Author) (2017)

Literary Merit: Good
Characterization: Good
Recommended: Yes
Level: Middle School

I really enjoyed the story and the humor in this book. It is the story of Bronte and what happened after she learns of her parents death. She was raised by her aunt since she was an infant. She was told that her parents went off on an adventure. At 10 she learned that her parents were killed by pirates. Her parents had a will and Bronte had to follow the instructions on the will. These adventures were what helped her grow up and come to terms with her parents absent and death. She learned to be strong and take care of things.

This story shows how the issues in life is what makes you who you are and is all part of a learning process. So even though she had to go through things, these all helped her to become the person she was supposed to be, even without her parents support. ( )
  SWONroyal | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was charming and delightful, and the narration was excellent.
  alasen_reads | Nov 13, 2018 |
When Bronte was a baby, her parents left her with her Aunt Isabelle before gallivanting off on adventures. Ten years later, Bronte receives the news that her parents have been killed by pirates, and their will insists that she set out alone on a journey to visit her all her aunts and deliver each a gift. Moreover, the will is Faery crossed-stitched, so there will be disastrous consequences if Bronte doesn’t follow it.

This is quirky and entertaining, and what begins as a episodic adventure - meeting her cousins, rescuing a baby from a river, rescuing an aunt from wrongful imprisonment, learning to talk to dragons, accidentally causing an avalanche - eventually twists together in Moriarty-fashion.

I suspect I would have stronger feelings about it were I still Bronte’s age or if it hadn’t been so light-hearted. I was not a fan of the illustrations, which are not to my tastes, but fortunately found them easy to ignore - and I can see how they might appeal to the book’s target audience. All the same, I’d happily read more set in this world.

“Oh, I love to have a child in my library! I’ve just finished redecorating the children’s section, so this is perfect, dear child! Trust me! You are going to love it!” [...]
“Well,” I said. “Thank you… But may I look something up instead?”
“Research!” the librarian shrieked, and inside the library people cleared their throats. One woman shot a crank
Shhh! in our direction.
The librarian looked guilty. “I make too much noise,” she confided. “But I
love it when people want to research! Do it! Dear child, you will love it! The catalogue is over there!” Her voice rose to a shout at the end. People muttered disapproval. ( )
  Herenya | Dec 16, 2017 |

Bronte is ten years old when she receives a letter saying that her long-absent parents have been killed by pirates, and the lawyers tell her that their will (reinforced with serious magic) requires her to deliver gifts to her ten other aunts (not Aunt Isabelle, whom she lives with), and to start the trip immediately and alone--but as she travels the kingdoms, she begins to suspect that there is more to this journey than delivering treasures, and that her parents had more secrets than she ever realized.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,229,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible