When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin

When Crickets Cry

by Charles Martin

Recently added byumbrella, private library, JudithDCollins

"Another powerful story you cannot put down. (loved the Atlanta/Lake Burton setting), since lived in Vinings, spending weekends at Lake Lanier...and holidays at Lake Burton! Have read all his books and looking forward to his new release-Unwritten. You will want his the entire collection of his work to pass along to your children!" Charles is one of my favorite authors and everything he writes is a winner!" ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin; (5*)

I love inspirational books but I do not being preached at. When I began this book I expected it to be a good story but I got much more than I bargained for.

This book is one of the finer pieces of fiction I have read this year. It was so compellingly and beautifully written that I found it difficult to put down. This one will tug at your heart strings and make you look a little deeper into yourself; look at your life a bit differently. Perhaps make you count your blessings a bit more. I know I have.

The story is about Reese, a man with trying to get away from his past. And it is about a little girl who needs a new heart. Reece meets her as she is selling lemonade at a street stand to earn money to help pay for her new heart. The people of the community know her and her story and are good to come and buy her lemonade. They become friends. It starts out so innocent and sweetly that you are taken for a ride along through this southern community and and before you realize it you are so deep into the story that you want to remain immersed in it.

Reese lost his wife tragically and hasn't been able to find his way back to life's mainstream. His budding relationship with this little girl helps him to find his way out of the darkness in which he has been living and reminds him that life does continue on ever so sweetly and tartly just like a lemonade.

When Crickets Cry is a beautiful testimony to one man's return to the faith that things can again be good and beautiful. I am happy to have found another author to read and recommend. ( )
3 vote rainpebble | Jul 26, 2014 |
I highly recommend this 5-star read of a book! It's a love story. No, I don't mean of the romance genre, though there's romance in it. It's a LOVE story -- with a lot of heart, literally, and on many other subtler but profound levels. It's a book, that in one story, paints a picture using the palette of the human condition -- of our ability to love, to alienate, to forgive, to punish (ourselves or others), to hope, to be frustrated, to have closure, and to begin anew. It's a story that will move you to tears or make you choke up, because something in you *will* resonate with the story, associating with one or more of the characters in the book. If you feel nothing (I don't mean that you share the same sentiments as I do for the story), if this story does not touch you in some way, read it again, for you really need a change of heart. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Good story, a bit religious but heartwarming story. ( )
  NHNick | Feb 8, 2014 |
In order to add drama to the story the main character who was a heart surgeon left his extremely ill wife alone for 20 hours a day, everyday, while he was being a very important physician. What??? And we the reader are supposed to feel sorry for this "great" guy for all he has gone through. ( )
  aegan | Aug 20, 2013 |

It begins on the shaded town square in a sleepy Southern town. A spirited seven-year-old has a brisk business at her lemonade stand. Her latest customer, a bearded stranger, drains his cup and heads to his car. But the little girl's pretty yellow dress can't quite hide the ugly scar on her chest. The stranger understands more about it than he wants to admit. And the beat-up bread truck careening around the corner with its radio blaring is about to change the trajectory of both their lives. Before it's over, they'll both know there are painful reasons why crickets cry--and that miracles lurk around unexpected corners.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible