High Tide at Gettysburg: The Campaign in…

High Tide at Gettysburg: The Campaign in Pennsylvania (1958)

by Glenn Tucker

High Tide at Gettysburg tells the story of the Army of Virginia from June 3, 1863, when they began the invasion of Pennsylvania, to July 13, when they crossed the Potomac. How near the South came to victory is clearly set forth in these pages. Had Lee destroyed Meade's forces, he could have easily taken Washington and Baltimore. He would have more than made up for the loss of Vicksburg to Grant's army on July 4. Glenn Tucker clearly sets out the background of the crucial battle so that the reader can fully appreciate its unfolding. Two great opposing forces faced each other. Their struggle for victory claimed the lives of nearly 50,000 men. Out of the sequence of events, emerge personality sketches of the major figures in the conflict. Tucker clears up many misunderstandings that have grown up around the battle: from the role of General Longstreet to the gallant penetration of Union lines by Pettigrew's and Trimble's divisions during Pickett's charge. Here indeed is an enduring picture of a key moment in history, the turning point of the Civil War. -- Publisher's note.… (more)

The is a good book for the time it was written in. The author is not a lover of George Meade and it is very clear that he would have preferred to have seen the south win at least the Battle of Gettysburg if not the war. I do recommend reading "High Tide at Gettysburg, but read it along with several other books on the subject, so you get a more recent and rounded view on the subject. My one big complaint with this book, is the last chapter deals with "what if's". I hate playing that game. ( )
  vtmom13 | Feb 29, 2012 |
Although I've been interested in the American Civil War for a long while, I haven't read as much on it - as is my practice with most historical periods, I've read overall histories supplemented by very singular ones and historical fiction (The Killer Angels and its accompaniments) - in the case of the Civil War, Bruce Catton's short history and a book called The Generals at Gettysuburg, which provides brief biographical information about each of the commanders, done to the regimental level. Those at least stick in my memory - there have been more, but it's been awhile.Mind you, then, this battle history ended up being a bit of a shock. It was at the point I got 6 chapters in and hadn't even heard about the Union army that I got a bit curious. I waltzed in expecting a reasonably bland account of a battle, and ended up knee deep in a lyrical history of the Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg (staring North Carolina) featuring "those people" over there. The title should have been a bit of a giveaway, I admit. The writing however, is top notch. As a person who is dreadful at understanding tactics, reading this book made how the battle happened very clear - it also has very good maps. I do enjoy reading about personal characteristics and anecdotes - I just wouldn't mind having some for the other side. Lastly, the author really is an excellent writer - there are some absolutely lovely passages in this, a history of a battle.I can't recommend this as an overall history of the Battle of Gettysburg because it's coverage is just too narrow. At the same time, I could see a British history of Trafalgar taking a similar stance without my minding it so much - perhaps because I would have been forewarned about it? It's hard to say. Definitely a book worth reading, for those interested in the Battle of Gettysburg, but I do feel that it needs to be supplemented by something which covers the Union side a bit better. ( )
  parelle | Sep 16, 2009 |
It was a good, concise and very readable account to one of the bloodiest battles fought on our own soil and by our own brothers fighting our own brothers.

It is a good book for non-detail type Civil War buffs or anyone who justs wants to find out a little more about this battle. ( )
  koalamom | Oct 6, 2008 |
TO
Dorothy, my wife, daughter of a Civil War baby, mother of a World War I baby, grandmother of World War II and Korean War babies, and grandmother of a helicopter pilot and torpedo mate in the Vietnam struggle -- who has heard much of way and knows its costly futility.
Substitutes for Genius
1. Summertime in Southern Hearts
Judge James F. Crocker, of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, reflecting on the Confederate War a quarter of a century after Lee's surrender at Appomattox, declared that the phase of his personal history which he recalled with the greatest satisfaction and delight was the ardor and unquestioning devotion with which he took up arms for the independence of the South.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible