Designing Gifted Education Programs and…

Designing Gifted Education Programs and Services: From Purpose to…

by Scott Peters

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Peters and Brulles looks at gifted education programs and services through best practices, but spend the majority of the time exploring four case studies. In Best Practice, she describes program elements, learning needs, service identification, and logistics. The authors provide limited references and there is an appendix on National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 gifted programming standards.

I was randomly chosen to receive this book. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Nov 12, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This work is properly better used as a guide than as an authority. The authors designed a book to assist rather than give just one main idea they filled the work with choices to "best fit" the type of situation that the reader may be involved with. Designed for not only the in service educators but for administration and could be used by Board of Education members and Superintendents of districts. Today many districts are adopting revised or revamped programs not only to include more students but to come into line with updated laws and rules adopted by both states and the Federal government. This work can be used as a guide to assist them in that process, by allowing the stakeholders to see the different styles as put forth in the work. The examples cover just about every type of district found in the United States. Prufrock Press has once again published another Great work to assist educators in doing their jobs in educating students. The price is within reason also. Sometimes the price places that ole notion that you get what you pay for, in this case you get more than the price suggests. This work should be in every district resource library and in every school media center for educators to gather information from. ( )
  Lewie | Jan 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was looking forward to getting Designing Gifted Education Programs and Services from Early Reviewers. Unfortunately it has been almost 20 years since my last education class and this is highly beyond my experience and training. I will keep reading and researching it to get what is current in the field to use in creating a program for our church's possible charter school. This will help us discover what we need in hiring teachers and Gifted Student staff. I am especially researching double special children as I remember being advanced in most areas but having un-diagnosed dyscalculia. ( )
  Bidwell-Glaze | Jan 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First impression: Not particularly readable. It isn't something you can just sit down with and read through like First Days of School, When Kids Can't Read, or Teach Like a Champion; I had to chunk it out because it was just saying way too much with way too little succinctness. It felt like every thought that came through the author's head needed a section (if not a chapter) to justify it. It offers up plenty of facts and figures, appears fairly well researched, and the author is definitely an authority on what he's discussing, it's just not something I'd ever recommend to a colleague because it feels almost like punishment reading through it.
Final impression: It doesn't give a whole lot of advise for what teachers, tutors, or parents can do. It mostly seems at curriculum and community overhaul which needs to start top-down to effect any real change. It had interesting ideas and reinforced much of what I already knew, it's just - there's not much I can do with any of the information provided. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is well written. The example stories in the book help you to clearly understand the ideas conveyed. If anyone is in the educational platform to teach or begin to teach gifted children this is a must in their toolbox. ( )
  imareadernow | Jan 16, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Scott Peters's book Designing Gifted Education Programs and Services: From Purpose to Implementation is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible