King of Scars (King of Scars Duology) by…

King of Scars (King of Scars Duology) (edition 2019)

by Leigh Bardugo (Author)

Member:Letora
Title:King of Scars (King of Scars Duology)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo (Author)
Info:Imprint (2019), 528 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Young Adult
Rating:*****
Tags:#youngadult #grisha #grishaverse #fantasy #magic

King of Scars (King of Scars Duology) by Leigh Bardugo

I truly cannot get enough of these characters. I went in to King of Scars thinking that Nikolai would continue to be my favourite character but boy oh boy did Zoya sweep me off my feet. Zoya is one of those incredibly well written, strong female characters that you cant help but respect and admire. Zoya and Nikolai have excellent chemistry and even better banter.

This is definitely more of a slow burn plot but i really appreciated that and enjoyed the deeper exploration of the magic system. I also really enjoyed that this story spanned more than one country, Fjerda is super interesting and whilst much of Nina's story is quite clearly a set up for what i imagine will be a much bigger plot point in the next story it was still a really good read.

The ending was at both shocking and frustrating. I'll have to see in the next book whether or not it was worth it but at present i much prefer the closure Ruin and Rising gave us, hence the slightly less than perfect rating. ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
In this return to the Grishaverse, Nikolai, King of Ravka, is inhabited by a demon. Trying to exorcise the demon, and preserve his nation's security leads to danger and the possible return of dark powers. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jun 13, 2019 |
There are so many flashbacks and expository ramblings about the contents of past books, it’s difficult to get invested in this book. Grishaverse really is the story that has no end, isn’t it? It goes on and on and on and on and
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Ravka has defeated the Darkling, but trouble still threatens from all sides. King Nikolai has a monster inside him and sets out on a dangerous journey to try to defeat it, while back at the capital his friends scheme to prevent his absence from being noticed—which is difficult since he’s having a festival to select a bride. Meanwhile, Nina and her compatriots are spying, trying to figure out what new atrocities the Fjerdans are up to—and there are a lot of missing girls and women to account for, which might have something to do with the strange voices Nina is hearing. It took a while to get going, but ultimately was a very satisfying addition to the series. ( )
  rivkat | May 13, 2019 |
The war with the Darkling may be over but Ravka is far from safe. Nikolai has his work cut out for him, trying to keep the countries surrounding Ravka from tearing it apart. But keeping the peace isn't the only thing Nikolai has to worry about. Scars left over from the Darkling riddle Nikolai's body and mind, filling him with dark magic. His nights are plagued by nightmares and the magic is beginning to take control of his mind. While Zoya and the others are doing all they can to keep Nikolai safe, he must find a cure as the darkness inside him digs its claws deeper.

Nina has been struggling to find a purpose in her life. Across the sea, she is working in secret to save Grisha and return them to Ravka. She is drawn to a munitions factory in Gafvalle, where the dead are calling to her. What she will find, will bring a whole new horror to the Grisha and she will have to come face to face with her worst enemy.

I will admit this book started off a bit slow. I was worried that after devouring the previous novels this one would let me down. I shouldn't have worried, because once again Leigh Bardugo created a story that takes hold of you and makes you continue reading.
Of course, I was excited to read this one because of Nikolai. A whole book dedicated to Nikolai? Hell yes! Throughout the Grishaverse he has stolen quite a few hearts, mine included. His first few scenes show a man who is losing hope. A man who has been battling for so long time and just wants it to be over. I was disheartened and thought the man I fell in love with was gone. But then as he begins to plot and scheme, the old Nikolai begins to shine through.

Now there's Zoya, a character I have absolutely hated since she first appeared. The minute I saw she had chapters I was appalled. Her cold attitude, her cockiness, everything about her grated on my nerves. But then something amazing happened. Leigh Bardugo painted Zoya in an entirely new light and gave her a storyline where I actually began attaching myself to her and enjoying her chapters. Now that takes talent.

On top of the talent Bardugo has with character development, she never hesitates to throw her characters into tight situations. You'll be on the edge of your seat knowing all hell is breaking loose and guessing how the characters are going to save themselves. Once the story gets rolling, there is never a dull moment. She also doesn't hesitate to throw the floor out from underneath of you with her ending. Seriously, get ready for a hell of a next novel because she just upended everything! ( )
  Letora | May 12, 2019 |
For Morgan Fahey-
wartime general
peacetime consigliere
dearest friend
(mostly) benevolent queen
Dima heard the barn doors slam before anyone else did.

When the dark magical force within him challenges his effort to forge new alliances and build a defense against a new threat, Nikolai Lantsov, the young king of Ravka, embarks on a journey to his country's most magical places to vanquish it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,579,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible