Bring Me Back: A Novel by B. A. Paris

Bring Me Back: A Novel (edition 2018)

by B. A. Paris (Author)

Member:CariDeCoons
Title:Bring Me Back: A Novel
Authors:B. A. Paris (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 304 pages

Bring Me Back by B A Paris

Recently added byrena75, private library, scoutlee, Shadow_Sandy, 2BR02B, SWade0126, manorlibrary

I was a little disappointed that I figured out the twist early, and I couldn't stand the characters (I don't think we are supposed to, though), but this was certainly a quick, entertaining read. Read for my mark-up postal book club. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
Visit all my reviews here. I love to chat books! Pop by, leave your review links! You can also follow me on Twitter: @Sassy_Brit.

Bring Me Back - hailed as "The gripping Sunday Times bestseller with a killer twist you won’t see coming" - is B.A. Paris' third novel, but did it live up to its hype?

I have to admit as much as I tried to avoid reading other reviews of this book, I soon discovered that to my horror, many people were in shock that this was not as good as her previous two books, and that kind of put me off reading it at first. However, I finally got around to reading it only to discover it's not that bad! Now I kick myself for not picking it up
before. haha!

There is , however, quite a contrast to B.A. Paris' previous two books. I think the shocking end was a little unbelievable, although it was deliciously evil of the author to spring on us!

I also thought the ending then went on to 'wrap up' with a confessional letter revealing all, which went on for far too long and made the earlier shock ending fall a little flat afterwards.

The premise of the story is that Finn and Layla went on holiday to France but only Finn came back. The boyfriend Finn was a suspect for a while, but since Layla just went missing and no body was found the case was eventually closed due to lack of evidence.

But if Layla went missing in France, then who is sending Finn emails and leaving little Russian dolls all over the place - seemingly from her - twelve years later?

Not my favourite book by B.A. Paris, but I am pleased I read it. The mystery of who is messing with Finn is definitely wor
th finding out!

3.5 stars. On Goodreads that's in between 'I liked it' and 'I really liked it'. Why they're not the same as Amazon I'll never know. ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
Bring Me Back is the 3rd novel by the talented B.A. Paris, but is my first read of hers.

The story alternates between two different time : 12 years ago and (mostly) present day; and is told from two points of view : Finn and Layla.

Layla went missing 12 years ago while vacationing in Paris with Finn. The body is not found, and hence Finn has moved on with his life and dated Ellen – Layla’s sister – for about 18 months and they are planning to get married. Right at this timing, there is someone claiming that he saw Layla! And then there are Russian dolls everywhere suggesting the presence of Layla! And the Layla’s emails to Finn!!

So, is Layla alive? Is someone pretending to be her? What is going on? The story has a strong page-turning beginning, a slow-paced middle, and ends with a well-manipulated twist.

Overall it is a well-written psychological thriller and I am interested in reading B.A. Paris’s other novels. I would recommend Bring Me Back to any fans of suspense mystery and dark secrets. It is due out this June 19th 2018. ( )
  Emily_Wai_Catan | Nov 22, 2018 |
This is a book that totally messes you up. Even when you think you have it all worked out, you're still dead wrong. Overall, it's one heck of a reading adventure though. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 19, 2018 |
Yeahhhh. I don't know what I thought this was about, but I was still disappointed. And if I never read the names 'Layla' or 'Ellen' in another book ever again, it'll be too soon. What a mess! How does the Sunday Times rank its bestsellers, exactly?

Narrator Finn - and I thought he was a woman in the first few chapters, that's how bad the author is at writing men - tells the story in flashback of how the beloved love of his life (for all of a year) made a swift sharp exit in a car park in France twelve years ago. The more we learn about Finn, the less I blame her. He gets accused of doing her in, but eventually is free to go and - move in with her sister. As one does. So he's living with the docile sibling of his missing lover when she starts receiving little Russian dolls and he's getting e-mails from someone claiming to be his long lost Layla. Now, that would be bad enough, but there is a dreaded TWIST TO THE TALE that is so ridiculous I've probably already given it away just by setting up the story.

When I say I finished this in a day, I'm not bragging or promoting how fast-paced the plot is, believe me. I started speed-reading to get to the end and move onto a better book! The characters, Finn and Layla told in first person, are weak and unlikeable, and the sole event of the plot - until the 'twist' - is told and rehashed so many times that I'm glad I wasn't paying attention. Who is sending the Russian dolls? It must be Layla! But no, maybe Ruby or Harry. No, it's definitely Layla. Here's another one! Who's sending them? What's that you say, Ellen? Must be Ruby? Oh, but I want it to be Layla! Layla Layla Layla! I think I started crying tears of frustration at one point.

Avoid. Unless you read the Sunday Times, apparently. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Nov 9, 2018 |

She went missing. He moved on. A whole world of secrets remained, until now. Finn and Layla are young, in love, and on vacation. They're driving along the highway when Finn decides to stop at a service station to use the restroom. He hops out of the car, locks the doors behind him, and goes inside. When he returns Layla is gone, never to be seen again. That is the story Finn told to the police. But it is not the whole story. Ten years later Finn is engaged to Layla's sister, Ellen. Their shared grief over what happened to Layla drew them close and now they intend to remain together. Still, there's something about Ellen that Finn has never fully understood. His heart wants to believe that she is the one for him, even though a sixth sense tells him not to trust her. Then, not long before he and Ellen are to be married, Finn gets a phone call. Someone from his past has seen Layla, hiding in plain sight. There are other odd occurrences: Long-lost items from Layla's past that keep turning up around Finn and Ellen's house. Emails from strangers who seem to know too much. Secret messages, clues, warnings. If Layla is alive, and on Finn's trail, what does she want? And how much does she know? A tour de force of psychological suspense, Bring Me Back will have you questioning everything and everyone until its stunning climax.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,630,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible