My Name Is Venus Black: A Novel by Heather…

My Name Is Venus Black: A Novel

by Heather Lloyd

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this story about a young woman whose life was turned upside down by an abusive stepfather and her reaction. Venus is trying to rebuild her life after spending years in prison for juveniles. The parallel story concerns her autistic brother who was kidnapped and has been missing since her incarceration. Venus builds new relationships, including reconnecting with her mother who she blames for not supporting her as a child. Overall, this is well written and somewhat of a page turner. The characters are believable and unique. I will say, though my cover is different than the one used for publication, I don't think either one really fits this novel very well. One looks like Venus is a rock singer, the other really says nothing. I can't help but wonder if the paperback edition is marketed differently - and the cover is more appealing and more accurately reflects the story - if this book won't find an even greater readership. ( )
  tara35 | Jul 25, 2018 |
I won an ARC in a GOODREADS giveaway! ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jul 22, 2018 |
Totally not what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed My Name is Venus Black. I really liked most of the characters, I loved that this was set in the 80s as my childhood was as well, and I'm a big fan of books that show fractured lives can have hope to become whole again.

Venus Black did a bad thing and she's probably going to pay for it, for the rest of her life. The choices she made will interwine, spread, and eventually affect so many other people's lives - including a whole slew of complete strangers. People will talk about her for a long time and she will always have her decisions hanging over her.

I loved how the story unfolded, skipping and summarizing mundane spans of life, and POV from one character to another. I especially loved Leo's point of view, Venus' little brother who is a developmentally disabled child struggling since Venus, his most favorite person, did this bad thing. I enjoyed his descriptive feelings: "The cello makes a yellow sound" - and anger is red. The simplicity in which he views the world is sad, but also a bit refreshing. I thought the space and solar system references throughout were a fun addition to the story as well.

The story proves that being a parent is just as difficult as being a kid in this world, and there is kindness in lots of people that comes out in different ways, and family isn't always who shares your blood, but who shares your love. There is also evil in the world that sometimes isn't always as cut and dry as most believe.

I had some issues with some parts of the story.- they were a bit unbelieveable and I wanted more detail - but I tried to let them go and just enjoy the story and all it's twist and turns. Overall I'm really glad I took a chance and read it.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to review. ( )
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

This book opens with teenage Venus Black in juvey for the murder of her step-father. She won't speak to her mother or tell anyone why she did it. While in jail her younger autistic brother, Leo, is kidnapped. Fast-forward to her release from jail. Her brother is still missing and all Venus wants to do is start over where no one knows her. But she can't escape her past or her family.

This story is told from Venus, Leo, and a few other characters perspectives. It is a story about facing your past, love, betrayal, and forgiveness. Overall I really enjoyed this book! ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Jun 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It was okay, which is not the consensus for this novel. Heather Lloyd does some things well, like character development. Leo was a really well thought out character. As someone who works with special needs kids, I applaud her portrayal. Sensitive and full bodied. What she needs to work on is dialog. And there are long stretches of nothing going on. It needs more pizzazz in the middle. Otherwise, Venus Black is a decent story about a girl trying to rebuild her life after tragedy. ( )
  shakenbake212 | Jun 14, 2018 |
I won this book through Early Readers. I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend it. Great first book for this author. Hope she continues.
added by Samqua | editN/A, Samqua (Mar 23, 2018)

"A stirring debut novel about a young woman searching for her kidnapped brother after she commits a terrible crime but longs for redemption. Thirteen-year-old Venus Black, a straitlaced, straight-A student is the last person anyone would expect to get in trouble, but when she is arrested for committing a shocking crime, it is clear that there was more going on in Venus's world than anyone knew. When she is released from a juvenile detention center five years later, she assumes a new identity in the hope of escaping the pain of her past, the mother that disappointed her, and her criminal reputation. Most importantly, she pledges to find her beloved, mentally disabled younger brother, Leo, who was kidnapped while she was gone. A newcomer to fiction, Heather Lloyd crafts a constellation of captivating, fresh voices in this redemptive novel that forces us to question our definitions of right and wrong, the difficulties in starting over, and whether or not it's possible to forgive the family we're born with--and live with the family we choose to be our own"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Heather Lloyd's book My Name is Venus Black is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Heather Lloyd is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,845,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible