Legendary: A Caraval Novel by Stephanie…

Legendary: A Caraval Novel (edition 2018)

by Stephanie Garber (Author)

Series: Caraval (2)

Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 464 pages
Collections:Summer Reading 2013

Legendary: A Caraval Novel by Stephanie Garber

4.5 stars...

I think I enjoyed this more then I did Caraval but what's up with the endings in this series?!! Both were pretty unfulfilling. I hope we get some closure in book three... ( )
  EmpressReece | Nov 8, 2018 |
This is the second book in the Caraval series by Garber. The third book hasn’t been released yet. I really enjoyed this book, just not as much as Caraval. This book was intriguing but lacked some of the magic and wonder of the first book.

This book is all told from Tella’s point of view. Tella has been conversing with a mysterious person in an effort to make sure Scarlett is happy and to find their lost mother. Imagine when she finds her correspondence has been with one of the Fates. Tella also finds out that if she doesn’t win this special session of Caraval she won’t survive to see another day.

I loved the addition of the Fates to the story. The idea of the Fates getting free and destroying the world was intriguing and really raised the danger factor of this story. I enjoyed Tella as a character, but not as much as Scarlett. I think my favorite character throughout was Dante; him and Tella have quite the thing going on throughout the story.

There are a number of interesting mysteries and twists and turns to the story. I didn’t find Caraval quite as magical this time around; maybe because things were so serious for Tella. I also got a little sick about Tella bragging about how she could save herself, yet time and time again Dante had to come to her rescue.

The story ends at a bit of a cliffhanger but it wasn’t horrible. I am curious to see how everything will be resolved in the third and final book, Finale (expected out in May 2019).

Overall this was a wonderful continuation of the Caraval series. While it wasn’t quite as magical and wondrous as the first book in this series, it was still very well done and I enjoyed it a lot. I would recommend to those who enjoy intriguing mysteries in a magical carnival-like setting. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 8, 2018 |
I didn't like Tella as much as I liked Scarlett in the first book, so it was nice to see the sequel unfold through Tella's eyes. Because the story is told from Tella's pov, I grew to like her and understood her motivations. However, the pacing is slower, the story not as riveting and I felt the physical attraction between Tella and Dante is overly emphasized. That being said, I'm looking forward to reading the third book, and hope it will be told in alternating povs. I want more of Scarlett and Julian, they are the characters who started this story and I hate to see them relegated to just a subplot. ( )
  VavaViolet | Sep 9, 2018 |
Mostly good, not great.

This book focuses on a bonus game of Caraval that comes on the heels of the first where we met Scarlett and Tessa. This book focuses on Tessa as she tries to unmask the identity of Legend, win the game and free her mother who disappeared when she and Scar were kids. Stakes are high(er) in this game - while the last one was a fantasy, this one - this time - is for real. Maybe.

Scarlett plays a supporting role in this story. New characters are introduced - primarily Jacks who Tessa quickly becomes entangled with. The romantic triangle in this plot mostly involves Tessa, Dante (who she met in the first Caraval game) and Jacks (which is an annoying name).

The first third or so of this book that sets up the story and launches this round of Caraval is a great start. I loved the description of the game board/setting this time around, the deck of cards, and the description of the dress shop, and the sketched wanted posters. This is where Garber shines best.

The second third of the book bogged a bit for me. Tessa is rushing around playing the game and trying to sort through clues and information while Scar just, what, maybe is secretly playing? Or knows something? Or is...I don't know...just sort of sleeping? There's a lot of action, but unlike the first installment, it seems more like filler. It doesn't seem to really build to anything.

As for the final third, well, you know it's an 'almost ending' as there are hints in the book to that effect. Plus, readers know it's a trilogy. Caraval ends - game over - and there's a winner, but no prize. It feels like there was an attempt at a cliffhanger, that didn't quite get hung right.

Legendary is ummmm.....okay, with the resolution designed to do little more than bridge you to the last and final book. It's not completely disappointing per se, but it's like a merengue - looks good enough to eat, then you do and it's nothing but sugar and air - not at all satisfying.

I'll get around to reading the third to see how it all turns out, but not with as much anticipation as this one. I still highly recommend Caraval the first - it's fantastic. ( )
  angiestahl | Sep 4, 2018 |
My review in depth: https://youtu.be/yOFfmVzGZlk

We follow Tella as she plays Caraval again - but this time, she is the main player and must do everything she can to win to save her mother, sister and herself. Distracted by Dante, Jacks, the Fates and the Deck of Destiny, Tella has her work cut out for her as she tries to find out who Legend really is.

Tella is as annoying in this book as she was in the first one and Scarlett plays only a small part. I did like Jacks and his cunning ways and was also a fan of Dante in this one. The story was interesting but I had my issues with it. I loved the first book and am disappointed with this one because it was too metaphor heavy for me. I get that everything is supposed to be magical and flowery but I was so distracted from the story because of it that I didn't even finish the book before my trip. I'll read book 3 but I won't be preordering it. ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |

Having made a deal with a criminal to save her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage, Tella must win Caraval and uncover Legend's identity, or risk losing everything, including her life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,128,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible