From the Heart of Africa: A book of Wisdom…

From the Heart of Africa: A book of Wisdom

by Eric Walters

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has beautiful illustrations. It is full of aphorisms from Africa. I like that the origin and meaning are at the bottom of each page. My favorite aphorism in the book is, "I pointed out to you the stars, but all you saw was the tip of my finger." I like that at the end of the book there is information about each illustrator. I feel like this book is a work of art and I will enjoy reading it with my children. ( )
  AliciaClark23 | May 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In From the Heart of Africa: A Book of Wisdom Eric Walters has collected fifteen aphorisms that he has heard colleagues and friends in Africa using. Each aphorism or proverb is presented on a two-page spread with information about its origin, meaning and a vivid full page illustration. The book is beautifully designed--despite having fifteen different illustrators it is a cohesive visual delight.

Eric Walters has a deep affection and respect for Africa, which the book conveys. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the book will go to support an orphanage in Mbooni District of Kenya.

That said I have two reservations. Of the fifteen illustrators, only six seem to have a connection to Africa. The explanations of the meaning of the proverbs are somehat preachy and simplistic. A more open-ended approach could encourage children to really think about these proverbs and apply them to their own experience.

This is an attractive picture book for older children, that will likely be popular in language arts and social studies classrooms.
  baydi | Feb 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From the Heart of Africa: A Book of Wisdom is a compilation of fifteen different aphorisms/proverbs compiled by Eric Walters. Each proverb includes its origin, meaning, and a vivid gorgeous artwork.

I was pleased that some of the proverbs were familiar to me while others were new. One of my favorites is "Many hands make light work" because it's one that I discuss with my children often about teamwork and how important it is. The artwork is amazing and we enjoyed reading about the different artists in the back of the book. The note from Eric Walters along with the Foreword introduces why aphorisms are so important and why we use them. Readers will also learn about Creation of Hope, an organization founded by Eric Walters that helps orphans in Kenya. A portion of the proceeds from the purchase of this book is donated to the orphans of Creation of Hope which helps pay for their education.

This is a wonderful book to have on the shelf and It's ideal for classrooms and libraries. Both educational and thought-provoking, this is truly a perfect book for children and adults of all ages. I was fortunate to win this on a giveaway and feel so lucky to have this delightful book full of knowledge to share with my children.

5***** ( )
  Mischenko | Feb 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A collection of artwork and aphorisms from a variety of African countries. I like that the aphorisms are given on their own, explained where they originate, and then an explanation of their meaning is given. This allows readers to attempt their own understandings before being told the meaning. The book also features beautiful artwork from a variety of artists, making each page a unique piece of art. This book would be great to use in a classroom.
  KarenRendall | Feb 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of From the Heart of Africa - A Book of Wisdom in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a must for elementary schools everywhere. Besides being absolutely beautiful with great vivid illustrations from various artists to the big bold text, there is a lot to think about as you read those elegant and simple truths.
I especially liked reading the foreword by Dr. Kolapo, Associate Professor of African history. He explains aphorisms (proverbs) clearly. This gives the book more valuable context.
As an elementary teacher, I can see using this book as a launch pad to some very engaging conversations. Our new curriculum asks for students to be more reflective, to see connections, and to consider how they themselves decide on their choices. ( )
  jwyss | Feb 1, 2018 |

Publisher Annotation: Aphorisms are universal. They give guidance, context and instruction for life's issues, and they help us understand each other and the world around us. We use them every day, yet never think about where they came from or why they exist. In this beautifully illustrated collection, Eric Walters brings us classic sayings from the places where this shared wisdom began. Ashanti, Sukuma, Akan and Kikuyu: all of these cultures use the portable and easily shared knowledge contained in aphorisms, and from these cultures and more this communal knowledge spread. This book is a celebration of art, of community and of our common history.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Eric Walters's book From the Heart of Africa: A Book of Wisdom is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible