No title (1960)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklós Nyiszli (1960)

Doctors Of Infamy: The Story Of The Nazi Medical Crimes by Alexander Mitscherlich (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Documents presented at Nuremberg trials from and about the pseudo-scientific experiments conducted by doctors who unlike Nyiszli freely chose the nefarious. Gruelling but important.

I picked up this book to read, along with a book of other WWII related books, for free at an auction in November. My reading has tapered off a bit, so I decided I wanted to read a book for me, and not a review book, as a "treat". My TBR pile is huge, as with everyone else's, but what the heck, right?

This book is another one of those books that you need to read somewhat slowly, in order to think about what you are reading. I've read a few books about Auschwitz, and I know this to be true (for me, personally) about all of them.

I can't say I LOVED this book, because how can one love a book about things so horrific? But one needs to read it, espcially the younger generations, for whom WWII was "ancient times". ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I will not rate this book as I read it years ago, before I could fully wrap my head around the atrocities of Auschwitz. I would like to go back and reread this book.
  meggarrett0609 | Aug 6, 2014 |
On the one hand, this book was totally as expected: a description of the often-told horrors of Auschwitz by in inside witness. And yet it manages to shock again, not just through the physical cruelty described herein, but with the psychologically dehumanising effects of the extermination programme. People in this camp were resigned to their eventual deaths, including the Sonderkommandos (jews who worked in the gas chambers and the cremation ovens) who knew that they would survive four months at most. And yet only one of the 14 Sonderkommandos decided to go down fighting (and to destroy one of the four crematoria in the process). The author continues to perform autopsies for Dr. Mengele on sets of twins that were murdered especially for this purpose, as if he were working "in the pathology university faculty of a middle-sized town". I was struck by little details that illustrate this madness: the prisoners inthe Sonderkommando would trade food for 140 gramme gold coins (melted from gold tooth fillings extracted from the gassed corpses),since that was the only currency they could have access to. Nazis would talk to a Jew (especially a useful jew like the expert pathologist who wrote this book), but would never greet him when arriving or leaving - because they didn't deserve to be further acknowledged. Not a fun read, but one I will remember for a long time. ( )
  fist | Jul 19, 2014 |
Take nothing for granted! ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
A sad book. The foreword is very strong. After and even while reading this book I had many questions. Weird because I have read so many books about this horrible war and about the people that survived the camps but this was the first time I started to wonder and think. Maybe because of the total of numbers Nyiszli mentioned in this book and that made me realize how many people were living in Auschwitz. Some of those questions were answered by the foreword written not by the author but by Bettelheim. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Miklós Nyiszliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bettelheim, BrunoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Dr. Miklos Nyiszli, a Jew and medical doctor, tells of his experiences at Auschwitz during World War II.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible