Collected ancient Greek novels by Bryan P.…

Collected ancient Greek novels (edition 1989)

by Bryan P. Reardon

Member:neilgodfrey
Title:Collected ancient Greek novels
Authors:Bryan P. Reardon
Info:Berkeley: University of California Press, c1989. viii, 827 p. ; 24 cm.
Collections:?Online?, Darwin, Your library
Tags:Literature.Ancient, Mythology

Collected Ancient Greek Novels by B. P. Reardon (Editor)

Translations of and notes about Ancient Greek romances.
  LochItes | Dec 4, 2009 |
A good collection of ancient novels. You can dispute what got included and what didn't--I wish it had dug deeper, and omitted more commonly available material—but the result is comprehensive and satisfying. Introductions are good. ( )
2 vote timspalding | Apr 21, 2009 |
Translations of virtually all that remains of ancient Greek prose fiction. My review is at http://stromata.tripod.com/id121.htm ( )
1 vote TomVeal | Jul 1, 2006 |
I bought this hulk of a book for a class on the ancient novel and was so fascinated with the subject that I decided to keep it. The stories are great for either light reading or serious study. The introductions tend to drag, but there's some fascinating information in them that you won't want to miss. ( )
  callirhoe | Apr 10, 2006 |
I found the general introduction mind numbingly boring, and it almost put me off from an otherwise wonderful book. ( )
  pandoragreen | Feb 10, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0520043065, Paperback)

Prose fiction, although not always associated with classical antiquity, did in fact flourish in the early Roman Empire, not only in realistic Latin novels but also and indeed principally in the Greek ideal romance of love and adventure to which they are related. Popular in the Renaissance, these stories have been less familiar in later centuries. Translations of the Greek stories were not readily available in English before B.P. Reardon’s excellent volume.
Nine complete stories are included here as well as ten others, encompassing the whole range of classical themes: ideal romance, travel adventure, historical fiction, and comic parody. A new foreword by J.R. Morgan examines the enormous impact this groundbreaking collection has had on our understanding of classical thought and our concept of the novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible