Half-Witch: a novel by John Schoffstall

Half-Witch: a novel

by John Schoffstall

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For rising YA readers who like smart mouths and smarter brains, because Polly (age 19) is going to find and rescue her brother. Or else.
    Summer in Orcus by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in lonely children and crappy parents: Because Summer (age 11) wants to leave home. Just once.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Jesus?" said Lizbet, "forgive me, for I am about to sin."

Oh, wow, I had not expected this to be so excellent. I am not a particular fan of middle-grade novels or of books with a strong Christian element, and this one totally should not have worked for me.

With a swift gesture, Lizbet knock the gilded lid off the pyx, grabbed a fistful of the consecrated hosts, and dropped them in her skirt pocket.

But really, who doesn't like to read about a heroine who actually uses her brain, proactively drives her plot, and works to be a better friend. And Lizbet -- clever, resourceful, and observant; who stumbles upon an unlikely companion and fights to keep her; who won't let devils or gods or even mortal folk bar her way -- kept me riveted throughout this book.

"Lizbet?" said Jesus. "Lizbet, put them back."

Five stars, with added bonus for some really good writing. I would definitely read more of Schoffstall's work. ( )
  MyriadBooks | Jul 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Lizbet Lenz has been following her father, Gerhard, from place to place just ahead of people out to get her father after a series of unfortunate events caused by her father. In Lizbet's world people can speak to God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit by eating the Eucharist. Her world is also full of demons, witches, goblins, and magic. Until her father is out in jail after making it rain mice in Albalia. The only way to free her father is to find a book the leader of Albalia lost in the Montagnes du Monde mountains. With the help of the witch girl, Strix, Lizbet sets out to find this book. But there might be bigger issues for Lizbet, like a revolution brewing in Heaven.

Initaly I had a hard time getting into this book. I found the author to be a little slow in setting up the world of this story but once I began to understand the characters world I got sucked into the story. Overall it was an interesting story and I cannot wait to see what is next for Lizbeth and Strix. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Jul 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a quick and clever read. The main character, Lizbet, goes on a quest in an effort to win her kindly con-artist father's release from prison. Along the way she meets witches, outlaws, and goblins, and learns a lot about the nature of the world and the character of the people around her.

It took me a bit to really get hooked into this story, because the setting was a bit ambiguous at the beginning and I was not sure if this was going to be all fantasy or some kind of alternate history. But once things got rolling I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lizbet goes from being a bit of a goody-two-shoes to a strong-minded protagonist, and some of the plot devices I thought were very clever and original. I can't explain too much without giving a lot of spoilers, but suffice it to say that I definitely recommend this book. ( )
1 vote Literate.Ninja | Apr 12, 2018 |
For Jayne Who held my head above water until we got to land
When Lizbet Lenz was eight years old, she and her father, Gerhard, fled their home in Frucy-sur-St. Jacques.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

John Schoffstall's book Half-Witch is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible