Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, Book 1) by Nora…

Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, Book 1) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Nora Roberts

Member:sferguson
Title:Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, Book 1)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (2004), Edition: In the Garden Trilogy #1., Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Romance
Rating:****1/2

Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts (Author) (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, KittyKanary, Lori.Slade, aliterarylion, atcolorado, stormysmith, DBReads, dm13

English (34)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Things I Learned: Nora Roberts loves gardening and writes pretty well. I can see why she's a best-selling author.

Comments: On the whole, a pretty good book, Lagged in some spots, but not for long. A nice romance between a widow with two young sons and sexy, divorced landscaper. Sparks fly, miscommunication ensues, true communication follows and hot sex proceeds apace. Ms. Roberts balances her various plot lines and characters nicely. I would like to read more in this series and perhaps more of Ms. Roberts' work. ( )
  harrietbrown | Feb 7, 2014 |
A lovely story of a widow from Michigan moving to Tennessee with her two young sons to take the reins of a garden center. The story follows a few months of her acclimation - complete with ghosts, a new love, and a wonderful household of women. I enjoyed Blue Dahlia very much. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
Book 1. Typical contemporary paranormal romance from Nora Roberts. Heavy on the gardening details, ideas, etc. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 12, 2013 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This made me want to rate the Ireland trilogy by Nora Roberts much higher than I did in comparison to this one. The romance and setting were not compelling. I would have given this one star, but I gave it another because I liked the unconventional family built at Harper House. And at first, I was like, "cool, there's a ghost in this story!" But what a pointless dud that turned out to be. I thought the ghost issues were going to be nicely resolved, and we were going to find out more about Amelia, but no. Plus I don't know if it was supposed to be some shocking revelation that the ghost was Amelia a few pages from the end. It was blatantly obvious Amelia was the ghost because otherwise what would have been the point of the prologue? Maybe more will be in the next couple books. I'm kind of tempted to find out especially since the prologue ended with a mystery, but then what really happened was never revealed.

I kind of glossed over all the nursery/flower details in this book just because that's not my thing. I'm sure I could like gardening if I actually took the time to do it, but as of now, I'm completely unfamiliar with most of it. But I think people who are really into gardening would enjoy the book because of this.

I cringed during the dialogue when Logan invited Stella to Graceland. When I lived in Memphis, very few natives were Elvis fans, and many had never even visited Graceland in their lives (my husband being one of them). It's completely a tourist thing. The only big Elvis fans I've met who live in Memphis are people who moved there because of Elvis, LOL. Also, I couldn't tell if NR was just changing the name of the famous, touristy BBQ restaurant or if she just couldn't remember it from her own trip to Memphis. As far as I know there's no famous BBQ restaurant called the Reunion, but there is a very popular one called the Rendez-Vous. She did fine with Beale Street though.

The biggest kick I got out of this book was that Harper was a student at University of Memphis! He actually would have been going there at the same time I attended school there! I doubt that's ever going to happen in another book I read, let alone there even being a mention of U of M. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quijada Vargas, EncarnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If the plant root ball is tightly packed with roots, these should be gently loosened. They need to spread out after planting, rather than continue to grow in a tight mass.
--From the Treasure of Gardening, on transplanting potted plants.

And 'tis my faith that every flower Enjoys the air it breathes.
--Wordsworth
To Dan and Jason, you may be men, but you will always be my boys.
Birthing a bastard wasn't in the plans.

Recently widowed, Stella Rothchild is no stranger to the ghosts of the past, but the move from Michigan back to her roots near Memphis, Tennessee is supposed to be about the future. Her two energetic young sons are thriving in their new school. Stella's got a great job managing successful nursery 'In the Garden' and an interesting boss and landlady in local legend Roz Harper. She even has a new friend in Hayley Phillips, the feisty young pregnant woman who turns up at Harper House, Stella's new home, looking for a job. More than that, Stella feels an instant attraction to 'In the Garden's' landscaper, Logan Kitridge, who gets under her skin and makes her feel truly alive for the first time in years. But there is someone at Harper House who isn't happy about Stella's growing feelings for Logan - the Harper Bride, an unidentified woman whose grief and rage have kept her spirit alive long past the death of her body. Love and loss broke her mind, and in her madness, she will stop at nothing to destroy the new passion that Logan and Stella have found.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 051513855X, Mass Market Paperback)

Read the excerpt now!

Against the backdrop of a house steeped in history and a thriving new gardening business, three women unearth the memories of the past and uncover a dangerous secret—finding in each other the courage to take chances and embrace the future.

Stella has a passion for planning that keeps her from taking too many risks. But when she opens her heart to a new love, she discovers that she will fight to the death to protect what’s hers.

Trying to escape the ghosts of the past, young widow Stella Rothchild, along with her two energetic little boys, has moved back to her roots in southern Tennessee—and into her new life at Harper House and In the Garden nursery. She isn’t intimidated by the house—nor its mistress, local legend Roz Harper. Despite a reputation for being difficult, Roz has been nothing but kind to Stella, offering her a comfortable new place to live and a challenging new job as manager of the flourishing nursery. As Stella settles comfortably into her new life, she finds a nurturing friendship with Roz and with expectant mother Hayley. And she discovers a fierce attraction with ruggedly handsome landscaper Logan Kitridge

But someone isn’t happy about the budding romance…the Harper Bride. As the women dig into the history of Harper House, they discover that grief and rage have kept the Bride’s spirit alive long past her death. And now, she will do anything to destroy the passion that Logan and Stella share...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:27 -0400)

Centering around three courageous women, who meet for the first time at a crossroads in their lives, this first installment in a new trilogy follows Stella as she casts aside her fears and finds a special love that she will do anything to protect.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible