Letter from a Rake (The Duke of Strathmore,…

Letter from a Rake (The Duke of Strathmore, #1) (edition 2017)

by Sasha Cottman

Series: Duke of Strathmore (1)

205841,191 (3.75)None
The unconventional Miss Millie Ashton, recently arrived from India, finds England a cold and dismal place. The fashionable ladies of London society look down their noses at her and it isn't long before Millie is planning her return to the country she considers home. When Millie befriends the high-spirited Lucy Radley, she also meets Lucy's handsome brother, 'Alex the Great' and things take a turn for the better. Alex, the Marquess of Brooke, is considered the most eligible bachelor in London, yet he appears fascinated by the independent Millie. Against  the odds, their unlikely friendship deepens. But Alex has a secret and when a love letter goes astray, it threatens to destroy all their happiness... Can Millie and Alex overcome the obstacles in their path to find true love? Or will one miscommunication ruin everything? 'Letter from a Rake was a delight' - The WIndow Seat on a Rainy Day'Oh, how I enjoyed this ... at times humorous, sweet, heartbreaking and emotional.' - My Written Romance 'A delightful read, with unexpected twists and turns.' The Romance Reviews… (more)
Member:Desyou
Title:Letter from a Rake (The Duke of Strathmore, #1)
Authors:Sasha Cottman
Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Rating:***

Letter from a Rake (The Duke of Strathmore Book 1) by Sasha Cottman

I haven't read so many historical fiction, as far as I can remember I think this will be the best of all for now. The story plot is great . The romance between the main characters were heart-warming. It is a different take on the novels I would normally read. I was totally immersed in the characters that I didn't want to take my eyes off except after I've finished reading this astonishing novel.

Letter from a rake is about soul mates Millie and Alex. The story dates back to 1817, where Millie Ashton, a duke, born and raised in India has just arrived in England with her family. She hates England and keeps on whining about her wish to return back to India. While nobody in England welcomed Millie like the way Alex's sister Lucy did, also a duke like herself, she would have sworn to have died living in England. But the only problem is Lucy's second brother Alex, the sight of him looking at her gave shivers. When she gets to know him better, she comes to a conclusion he is not all bad. It is love at first sight for him.

When everything is going well, during a fateful night, Alex screws his love by taking Millie away from a public party without letting his sister and her brother know. They were caught filled with shame, Lucy breaks off her friendship with her, blaming her for being selfish and mistakes she was friendly only to get closer to his brother like all the other girls did. She gets a wrong impression of Millie and then the next day their whole family is off to Scotland because of the mishap that they created. Millie is shocked but she quickly recovers from it.

I loved the author's portrayal of Millie Ashton. In almost all the novels I have read th female protagonists are mostly slender with beautiful curves while in this novel, the author has introduced us to a plump, fat girl with curvaceous figure who also wears a sapphire nose ring much to the men's dislike even though she is amazingly the most ravishing, strong female character I have read. She is also very likable, valiant and knows how to defend for herself in times of trouble.

Alex’s character is the most humorous and also the saddest part in the novel. He has bad tastes in women. When he returns for Millie from Scotland, he is heartbroken to see her new slender figure. I also laughed so much at his innocence and stupidity. He knows how to make thinks harder. He almost puts two ladies in Jeopardy because of the silliest reason he cannot write or read. This time his brother doesn't come to his rescue which makes things even harder for him. He has to right the wrongs before Millie chooses the first man who agrees to live with her in India.

Overall, I am not able to like the first half. I feel the story is rushed .The second half is full of fun and entertainment. The ending part is so touching with Lady Carolice finding the right man like she deserves. I highly recommend this to everyone who likes historical fiction. ( )
  infantina.nivetha | Jun 17, 2020 |
Lucy is fairly likable but all three of the brothers are awful ( )
  jason9292 | Aug 29, 2018 |
This is the perfect story for Regency Romance lovers. An easy read I couldn't put it down.

The romance is engaging. The pacing of the story is good and the plot is well thought out with unexpected twists. There is an interesting amount of historical detail throughout which enhances the book.

Millie is an unconventional heroine for a Regency romance. She was born and lived in India and so provides a fresh perspective on Regency society's constraints on women. An endearing combination of feisty and vulnerable make Millie attractive both to the reader and the hero.

Alex is a likeable rake. The insights the reader is given into his thoughts allow you to like him even when he unwittingly breaks Millie's heart.

The story is full of layered conflict which keep you turning the pages.

Whilst not a steamy romance. The ending definitely raises the temperature and gives Letter From A Rake its Happy Ever After.

I enjoyed this and would recommend it.

I received a copy of this book from Penguin Books Australia, Destiny Romance via NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  jane.hunt.509511 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Oh my goodness, where do I even begin? I fell in LOVE with this book right from the beginning. The female lead, a rather feisty Millie Ashton, is just simply awesome. I love a strong woman who can speak her mind, and speak it she did. I also have a soft spot for these types of stories, so that alone made the read even more enjoyable for me. Upon arriving in London, Miss Ashton certainly meets her match when she is introduced to a certain Lord Brooke. Take a chance on this book; it is wonderful! ( )
  sealford | Oct 19, 2013 |
Love undone!

Millicent Ashton wanted to go home where she understood the people and the climate. Where she thrilled to the sounds, sights and smells.
For the plumper than usual, not quite debutante, recently returned from India to the bosom of the ton, things are not going smoothly. In fact decidedly badly.
I do wonder about the nose jewel. After all there were unspoken rules about dress and decorum in Regency times. A young unmarried woman from India may not be the one to flout them. However with the unkindness Millie experiences, the non wearing of the nose ring would have been a trifling drawback.
Enter Alexander Radley, Marquess of Brooke, and brother to her newly found friend, Lucy.
My it was a nice change to have the manly swain smitten first. Usually it's the other way around. Kudos to the author for this diverting twist that starts a train of wryly misunderstood happenstances.
Nothing about the path to true love for these two is smooth. Indeed, it's decidedly rocky! Communiques go astray, events are misinterpreted, and love has a jolly hard time finding its way!

An amusing and pleasant read

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jul 12, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,420,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible