Star Wars: The Rebel Files (Deluxe Edition)…

Star Wars: The Rebel Files (Deluxe Edition)

by Daniel Wallace

219703,085 (3.45)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
it was an interesting read, it was like you were reading something that was found after the rebellion was over for awhile. this was a library thing giveaway ( )
  cbloky | Oct 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I love the Star Wars universe and most of the films and animated TV shows, I have only read a couple of the Star Wars novels. I suspect if I were more familiar with those novels I would have gotten a lot more out of this book. I'd go so far as to suggest that if you aren't deeply familiar with those books you probably won't get much out of this. Here's why: The in-universe historical documents included here tie a lot of pieces together, explaining why the Rebels made many of the decisions they did (why build a base on Hoth, how the various Rebel factions worked together), but are very dry, presented in a kind of stream-of-consciousness style (imagine taking a stack of unrelated documents and then slapping a cover on them), and refer to a lot of characters and situations that took place outside the films. Not a great reading experience because of the book's lack of organization and contextualization.

Better organization would have helped a great deal--why not group the documents into coherent sections and have them annotated, explained, and contextualized by a Rebel historian? That would have made all the difference. Also, while the idea of the documents being annotated by various Rebel leaders was good in practice, they were in hard-to-read cursive fonts in the margins and just came across as snarky. This is a nice little hardback with some pleasing illustrations throughout but I can't really recommend it except for truly diehard fans who read all the novels. ( )
  bibliorex | Sep 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The thing I enjoyed most about this book was that it filled out a lot of information about the goings on behind the original trilogy. You do get a real flavor for what was going on in the mind of the leaders of the rebellion and a sense for why certain decisions were made (Hoth as a base?). I did find that it got a little tedious after a while, and the "handwritten" comments, while interesting were occasionally hard to read. Overall, it was a fun book but not one I'm likely to ever return to. ( )
  Avogt221 | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good read, with fillers for the original movie, but a little confusing and hard to read. For a true fan of the movies it has some background. ( )
  nirrad | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A little too dry for my tastes, but a true Star Wars aficionado should find this fascinating. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Sep 14, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Daniel Wallace's book Star Wars: The Rebel Files is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,155,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible