The Orchard by Yochi Brandes

The Orchard

by Yochi Brandes

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to LibraryThing and Gefen publishing for this book.

I really try to enjoy different types of books, especially Jewish related ones, but this one was too historical for me and didn't get past page 25. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I have difficulty enjoying a story which is so clearly an effort to popularize a sacred story. Not bad, just not able to really engage. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jul 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fans of Milton Steinberg's As a Driven Leaf and Maggie Anton's Rashi's Daughters will be thrilled to discover Israeli-author Yochi Brandes' latest work. The Orchard recounts the story of Rabbi Akiva and the sages of his generation, giving the powerful voice of the narrator to his wife, Rachel. In this meeting of rabbinic tradition, a women's perspective, and the political intrigue of the Roman rule of Judea, readers have a front row seat at what is truly a battle to establish the course of Jewish history.

The world of the rabbis is a complex one, and readers would be well-served to have more than a passing knowledge of the main actors. The schools of Hillel and Shammai, the relationships and rivalries between the leaders of the main centers of learning, as well as the religious and secular governance structures of the time all feature in the narrative. With a story whose plot is heavily interspersed with rabbinic terminology, theology, Hebrew language, and allegory, an index including family trees and a historical time line would be of immense assistance to most casual readers. For those with the necessary a background, an index of the included texts (mostly mishnah) would have been a powerful tool for further study. As required reading for an adult-education course on rabbinic history, this book could easily be the primary source.

Reading this book in translation is intensely rewarding, as it makes much of the traditional sources accessible to a new audience. It is much to the Brandes' credit that her characters and drama of the story are so vividly drawn that she makes readers forget that they may already know the ending. Daniel Libensons' translation is a monumental effort in maintaining the seamless movement between Brandes' descriptive prose and rabbinic legends. It reads so beautifully in English that readers may find themselves wishing they could appreciate every last nuance of the Hebrew original.

In The Orchard, Yochi Brandes has once again showcased her exceptional story telling skills and encyclopedic knowledge of Jewish history. For those who seek a window into the world of the sages, who strive to understand how the rabbis nurtured their faith and created the framework of two millennia of Jewish practice, The Orchard is an absolute must-read. ( )
  booksandblintzes | May 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to LibraryThing and Gefen publishing for my free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, as interesting a premise and beginning chapters as this book had, I just couldn't finish it. I got about half way through before I decided I was bored enough to give up. I may try again later, because it had an interesting beginning, and I skimmed the end a bit. ( )
1 vote MaeCee18 | May 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Should probably start by staying that I approached this book knowing next to nothing about the period of Jewish history or texts discussed in this book. Reading this book, I got confused quite a few times and would have to stop and do some background research for context. The positive is that I learned a lot about this very interesting period of Jewish history. However, I didn't take to the style of writing here - the style didn't seem to flow/fit with the themes of the story, but this could have been the English translation. ( )
  jlwagn | Apr 24, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Yochi Brandes's book The Orchard is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,845,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible