The Invasion (Grey Lands Book 2) by Peadar…

The Invasion (Grey Lands Book 2) (edition 2018)

by Peadar O'Guilin (Author)

After so much danger, Nessa and Anto can finally dream of a happy life. But the terrible attack on their school has created a witch-hunt for traitors, boys and girls who survived the Call only by making deals with the enemy. To the authorities, Nessa's guilt is obvious. Her punishment is to be sent back to the nightmare of the Grey Land for the rest of her life. The Síd̕he are waiting, and they have a very special fate planned for her.--Amazon.com… (more)
Member:AlexDraven
Title:The Invasion (Grey Lands Book 2)
Authors:Peadar O'Guilin (Author)
Info:David Fickling Books (2018), 341 pages
Rating:*****

The Invasion by Peadar Ó Guilín

The Call finished on a high note—Nessa and Anto had survived! But the Invasion immediately throws their dreams into nightmares, as Sidhe begin to invade their world—an Ireland isolated by a curious barrier somewhere at sea. Traitors are sent out in boats and never return. Warriors are sent out to destroy all things not of this earth. And plans are made, on both sides of the war.

Legends, well-known and little-known, play their part in The Invasion just as they did in The Call. Fate throws characters apart and together, creating and mending betrayals. And the path to saving the world seems ever more fraught as the story progresses.

I liked The Call for its very personal, scary horrors and the mystery of where it might take me. In The Invasion, the horror is written much larger, the threat is clear, and the separate paths of the battle seem to draw ever apart. But the author pulls it all together again, bringing personal needs and loyalties to the fore, and drawing it all to a satisfying conclusion. I hope there might be a third book in this series, though it’s as complete after two books as it surely was after one. I certainly enjoyed it.

Disclosure: My husband got the Call for Christmas and we loved it. I recommend readers start there, then move on to this. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Sep 19, 2019 |
I really liked the premise of this book. Ireland has been cut off from the outside world for a generation, a generation where every child is called by the Sidhe to the Grey Land during their teen years. At first, only three in a thousand survived, but now kids are enrolled in survival colleges to enable them to last the twenty-four hours you need to last to return to the real world. This book mostly follows two kids who survived such an ordeal in the previous book. I liked the sense of a changed world, but got bored by the actual story told, and neither of the main characters ever grabbed me (though I admit that may have been different if I'd read the first book). Plus, the ending wrapped a lot of stuff up out of basically nowhere, though it does seemingly leave room for a book 3.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 17, 2019 |
Oh man, Peadar (and I have to admit I know him here) points out that the ordinary humans can be just as bad as the sidhe. Nessa and Anto have returned from the grey lands to Ireland and are changed and Nessa is suspected of being a traitor while Anto is brought into a squad to fight the Sidhe. Nessa finds herself back in the Grey Lands and has to survive while Anto has to deal with the power he has and what to do with it.

It all concludes in a relatively satisfying way but it's a complicated story and the ending felt a little rushed to me but overall it was a good read and while it feels like a conclusion it left room for sequels.

Received as part of the Hugo award ballot. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 8, 2019 |
Ireland is still reeling, twenty-five years after the return of the Sidhe, or perhaps more correctly, the Grey Land, where the Sidhe were banished centuries ago. Our world, which they call the Many-Colored Land, and the Grey Land, move nearer to each other and further away, and now they are very close to each other, closer than in a very long time, and the Sidhe are able to Call the young of Ireland into the Grey Land. They stay only a day, but they don't always survive, or if they do, return unchanged.

Ireland is cut off from the rest of our world. Technology is dying. Society has changed drastically, with what were previously the secondary education years transformed into Survival Colleges, aimed completely at giving the young people who will be Called by the Sidhe their best shot at survival.

But the Sidhe have a plan, a plan to return to Ireland. To do that, they have to find a King for some part of Ireland to revoke the treaty that banished them.

Nessa Dhoerty, Anto Lawler, Aoife, Liz Sweeney, and other students of Boyce Surivival College are thrown into the conflict with the Sidhe, conflict with each other, and conflict with adults who may or may not really care anymore.

Ireland has become a grim place, but there are at least some prospects for those who survive the Call and return not too changed. The Grey Land is rather grimmer than the name might suggest, unless you remember that the fae, whatever they are called in any version of the mythology, are never nice or safe or good.

It's a solid, interesting book, with interesting and complex characters who make you care about them. On the whole, the world they live in is dark enough that I'd have preferred to not care enough to finish reading their story. That option wasn't available!

Recommended.

This book is a 2019 Lodestar Award Finalist, and I received it as part of the 2019 Hugo Voters Packet. ( )
  LisCarey | Jun 26, 2019 |
Welcome back to the Nightmare Fuel.

The Invasion doesn't have quite the same punch as its prequel The Call which is less an indictment of The Invasion and more a testament to how unholy terrifying The Call was. I still can't comprehend how this series is supposed to be YA.

Everything in The Invasion is still a total nightmare. Our plucky heroes, Nessa and Anto, find themselves in fresh dangers. Anto can be a bit of a wet blanket at times, but I'm in absolute awe of Nessa's insane determination and drive. I can say without irony that I want to be as cool as Nessa some day.

I don't recommend this series to any young adults, because what part of Nightmare Fuel do you not understand. But for any adults looking for the next excellent thing in fantasy horror, look no further.

miri12 | May 31, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,166,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible