Mouse Guard Volume 1: Fall 1152 (v. 1) by…

Mouse Guard Volume 1: Fall 1152 (v. 1) (edition 2009)

by David Petersen

Member:harriscountypl
Title:Mouse Guard Volume 1: Fall 1152 (v. 1)
Authors:David Petersen
Info:Archaia Entertainment, LLC (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Book Hunters
Tags:graphic novel, mouse, mice, medieval

Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 by David Petersen

English (47)  French (2)  All languages (49)
Exceptional art and story. If I collected graphic novels, I would definitely have this series. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 27, 2014 |
The art is spare, which matches the storytelling and both do a good job of building the dangerous world of the Mouse Guard. A viscious early battle with a snake sets the tone and and is immediately followed by the first of some interesting narrative twists. It peaked my interest just when I was starting to expect a more standard sword-and-shield storyline. The entire plot didn't quite live up to those new expectations, but interesting characters world-building more than compensated. ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |
mouse guard was amazing. I love it was about . three mice are trying to find the traitor ....
  Hayli81 | Oct 25, 2013 |
3.5 stars. Loved the art, liked the story. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Small creatures in a large and threatening world, the mice of the Territories must constantly guard against danger, both from within and without. Having emerged victorious from the winter war of 1149, in which they repelled a weasel warlord intent on seizing their land, the Mouse Guard - an elite band of warriors sworn to protect their fellow mice, whether as soldiers, escorts and pathfinders between the far-flung and often isolated settlements of the Territories, weather watchers and scouts, or as bodyguards - confront a new threat, in the form of a traitor from within their own ranks. As guards Lieam, Kenzie and Saxon search for a missing grain merchant, and then make their way to the city of Barkstone, Sadie - assigned to watch the shoreline of the territories - must make contact with a missing guard named Conrad. All four discover treachery, and race, in their different ways, to warn Gwendolyn, the heard of the Mouse Guard, and to protect the stronghold of Lockhaven.

I enjoyed this first foray into David Peterson's murine world, both for the storytelling - which reminded me strongly of Brian Jacques' Redwall series, with its warrior mice - and for the artwork. The world depicted here is convincing - one gets the sense, when reading, of more of it, left unexplored at the margins of the story - and I liked the characters, although I think I would have liked to get to "know" them a bit more. Peterson avoids the cuteness sometimes to be found in tales of mice and other small creatures, instead capturing a true sense of menace. The artwork really helped here, with its dark tones. All in all, a worthy first volume - this hardcover edition apparently contains six individual "issues," which were originally published separately - and enough to convince me to pick up the second. Recommended to young fantasy fans, particularly those who enjoyed Redwall or the Warriors series. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 15, 2013 |
It’s the details that sell the tale, as when the mice make camp, curled up in makeshift shelter with weapons at the ready, or when a leaf becomes a boat for coastal travel. The fight scenes are admirably staged, and the animals are realistic (with the addition of their tiny swords and other weapons).

For my wife Julia

And in loving memory of
Gilbert and Doris Peterson
The mice struggle to live safely and prosper among all of the world's harsh conditions and predators.
Let me tell ye about the Guard.
"It matters not what you gifht but what you fight for."

Adventures of three mice, Saxon, Kenzie and Lieam patrol borders, and strive to make safeways to keep the mouse territories free from predators.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible