Megabat by Anna Humphrey

Megabat

by Anna Humphrey

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent early chapter book featuring a sweet friendship featuring Star Wars references and sneaky animal facts! Second grader Daniel Misumi is new in town and unsure of it all when he befriends a talking fruitbat (aka Megabat) who is far from his home, Borneo in southeast Asia. Though it is a heftier 183 pages, the short chapters have a lot of white space on the page and are interspersed with gentle black and white illustrations keep pacing swift but approachable. Perfect readaloud for a group or read-alone for younger readers who are ready to build stamina with a longer book! ( )
  jbarry | Oct 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My 10 year old son and I both enjoyed this delightful tale of an unlikely but sweet friendship between a lonely boy and a homesick bat he discovers living in his new bedroom. The boy, Daniel, tries to help Megabat, who talks using his own amusing vocabulary for things, and they have some humorous adventures along the way. This was a sweet, silly story about finding unexpected friendships and overcoming obstacles. The illustrations were adorable and added a fun visual element to this story. I think this would be a great fall/Halloween story for 2nd-4th graders. ( )
  MKCagle | Oct 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you know a young reader who wants to read a Halloween book but isn't quite ready for something scary, grab a copy of MEGABAT by Anna Humphrey for them. Daniel and his family have moved to a new house and Daniel hates it and his attic bedroom. He keeps finding a wet spot on his floor and quickly realizes it's from a fruit bat that was shipped when the piece of fruit he was on was picked and shipped across the sea. Megabat is homesick and quite unique - because he can talk. Daniel and his new friend Talia try to get Megabat home but come up on several obstacles. They find some help in an unexpected place. This book incorporates a little pop culture and some adorable illustrations by Kass Reich and it is tons of fun! I found myself smiling a lot as I read it and I'm sure young readers will do the same. ( )
  bermudaonion | Oct 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved this book. Was a quick read and very enjoyable ( )
  mpodiluk1 | Oct 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Read this as a read aloud with my 6 and 8 year old. I was hoping I could read it to myself while they read it to themselves and we could have a book talk in the end... but they weren't immediately grabbed by the subject matter. However, this became a great nightly read (short chapters for when we needed a quick read, but we also could read many chapters at a time) and we all enjoyed the story, a pretty straightforward friendship narrative except involving a talking bat. There was problem solving, logistically as well as emotionally, with a mostly satisfying ending. One qualm- I thought the bat's spoken language read as mildly, well, offensive? Almost playing off of a stereotypical Indian accent (read: Apu from the Simpsons.) That was probably the biggest turn off from the book. I did love the non-traditional animal romance though! ( )
  W.MdO | Oct 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Anna Humphrey's book Megabat is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,170,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible