Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island…

Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island Trilogy 1) (edition 2001)

by Nora Roberts

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island Trilogy 1)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Piatkus Paperback (2001), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal-romance

Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts

English (42)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
Helen Remington flees an abusive husband in California, and a few months later, Nell Channing arrives on Three Sisters Island in Massachusetts. For the first time in years, she feels a sense of home, and a sense of safety, and real connections to the people around her. She takes a job as the cook at a bookstore café, and after a while, starts a catering business. She also starts seeing the island Sheriff, Zach Todd. It's a tricky relationship, because Zach is the person best positioned to figure out who she really is, but she can't bring herself to just cut it off. Nell needs to live again.

Nell also has a lot to learn about her dreams and visions, and her boss, Mia Devlin, is the person to teach her, along with the legend of the Three Sisters, witches who created the island to escape the witch trials of 17th century Salem.

But Nell's past is going to catch up to her, and she's going to need Mia, Zach, and Zach's sister, Ripley, to face the danger that's coming for her.

Content Warning: It's worth noting that other readers find Zach too pushy and controlling, and maybe not, in the long run, much better than the husband Nell had to fake her death to escape. I don't completely agree; to me, it seems that Zach backs off when Nell needs him to back off. He is pushy, though, and a lot of readers don't read him the way I do. So, be aware. Be cautious, if this is something that might be trigger material for you.

That aside, I like the characters, especially Nell, Mia, and Ripley. It's a light, enjoyable story--and referring back to the above paragraph, maybe a little lighter than it should be, given its [b:Sleeping with the Enemy|1088704|Sleeping with the Enemy|Nancy Price|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1411004528s/1088704.jpg|1075496] story line. I liked it. Not everyone will.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |

This was my first Nora Roberts book and a genre I don't typically go for. I enjoyed reading it, but I wasn't blown away. I would probably read the next one if it wasn't about Ripley, who I did not like at all.
Zack wasn't my favorite either. He seemed kind of pushy. I would hate some guy to just show up where I was all the time violating my personal boundaries, especially if I had a hard time trusting men because of my abusive ex-husband.
Even though I wasn't too impressed, I would read some of her other novels in the future. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
I first read this years ago in 2009 in paperback form but recently picked it up in CD form to listen to it in my car...
A beautiful setting dealing with a very real problem in society today. A very realistic take on things with a dose of magic. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 8, 2017 |
Another great surprise by Nora Roberts. :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Loved it!
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |

Roberts, Noraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larrea Paguaga, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is sweet to dream to violins
When Love and Life are Fair:
To dance to flutes, to dance to lutes
Is delicate and rare:
But t is not sweet with nimble feet
To dance upon the air!
--Oscar Wilde
To the Broads, the Brats, the Brawn, and the Babes. For the fun and the friendships.
Prologue

Salem Village, Massachusetts
June 22, 1692

In the dark green shadows of the deep woods, an hour before moonrise, they met in secret.

When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she's finally found refuge from her abusive husband - and from the terrifying life she fled so desperately eight months ago . . .

But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never feels entirely at ease. Careful to conceal her true identity, she takes a job as a cook at the local bookstore café - and begins to explore her feelings for the island sheriff, Zack Todd. But there is a part of herself she can never reveal to him - for she must continue to guard her secrets if she wants to keep the past at bay. One careless word, one misplaced confidence, and the new life she's so carefully created could shatter completely.

Just as Nell starts to wonder if she'll ever be able to break free of her fear, she realizes that the island suffers from a terrible curse - one that can only be broken by the descendants of the Three Sisters, the witches who settled the island back in 1692. And now, with the help of two other strong, gifted women - and the nightmares of the past haunting her every step - she must find the power to save her home, her love . . . and herself . . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515131229, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Three Sisters Island, coast of New England, present day

Sensuality rating: 6

Perennial New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts's new Three Sisters Island trilogy is pure magic! No, I mean really magic. An intriguing combination of The Witches of Eastwick and Sleeping With the Enemy, Dance Upon the Air introduces readers to the idyllic town of Three Sisters Island. Reputedly conjured by a trio of sisters seeking to escape the Salem witch-hunts, the island remains a place of quiet refuge for one and all, including pretty Nell Channing who arrives in town afraid of her own shadow, with few possessions and no past. But the warm, sunny days and cool, windswept nights, as well as the loving concern of new friends--especially hunky sheriff Zack Todd--soon lure skittish Nell into a much-welcome fresh life. Nell's new boss, the captivatingly lovely bookstore owner Mia Devlin (look for Mia's story, hopefully, in the not-too-distant future), wonders from what or whom Nell is running. Mia treats Nell as she would a sister, which isn't too far off the mark, helping Nell discover and explore her inner resources while Zack's romantic attentions bring a rosy glow to Nell's cheeks and to her future. But something wicked this way comes… Will Nell be ready to face and conquer her past? Even with the love and support of Mia, Zack, and Zack's fellow police officer, his peppery, down-to-earth sister Ripley, Nell has the fight of her life--the fight for her life--on her hands. Roberts continues to delight fans and create new believers with her talent and imagination. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

After a year on the run, Nell Channing feels that she can make a home for herself on Three Sisters Island and, aided by Mia, the proprietor of the Island's small book store and Ripley, the town's assistant sheriff, she finally dares to envision a brighter future.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible