Water Logic by Laurie J. Marks

This is the third part of the Elemental Logic series, and the weakest. Karis and her rag tag band of Sainnite and Shaftalese allies are still trying to bring all of Shaftal together. Most of the book follows either the Sainnite general Clement and her Shaftalese cow-doctor lover Seth, or Zanja and her travel back into Shaftal's past. I was frustrated with the Seth and Clement plot, because I wanted more details on how Clement subdued and convinced the Sainnites to surrender and less on Clement's inner pain. I was even more frustrated with Zanja's plot, because at the beginning of the book it seems like she'll be dealing with the Border People and instead she spends the entire book trudging the past trying to learn glyphs. Language is a huge theme in these books, but so is colonization and invasion, and I really wish more time (any time?) had been spent on a plot regarding the border lands. I wouldn't demand so much of this series if any other writers were working on similar issues of cultural identity, peace, nationalism, etc.

This a good book in a fantastic, thought-provoking and truly unique series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I read the first two in this series (Fire Logic and Earth Logic) quite a while ago. I wish I'd read them closer together, before the details faded in my memory, but the first two were published by Tor, and this one by Small Beer Press, which is an excellent publisher, but as its name might indicate, a smaller one, so it took me a while to get a copy.
It's really too bad that Tor apparently dropped this series, because it's really a cut above the average. It has an interesting, well-realized world with interesting cultural elements and magical details, as well as engaging, rounded characters. The story kept my interest, while creating a thoughtful dialogue about the clashes of cultures and the personal attitudes that can lead to conflict or pacifism. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Tolerable time travel! Usually I hate that tool, because the charcters inevitably tie themselves in knots over the philosophies involved or I do, but the characters were so confounded that it seemed plausible. Whatever.

Also, there were more descriptions of people in this book than the previous two, enabling me to visualize scenes and actions more vividly. ( )
  irrhapsodi | Jan 3, 2016 |
Sigh, is there anything worse than an unfinished series with no ETA for the next book??? ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I was hoping for a concise novel. I put it down once, as stale. At the last day before return to the library, I picked it up again and began obstinantly reading it, as the least bad among bad choices. It actually engaged my attention on the second reading. I did not renew it to finish it, instead returning it to the library to hope for a better choice. Simply read flat. ( )
  lafincoff | Oct 16, 2009 |
For the people who looked after Deb and our pets, made certain we could pay the bills, took care of my students, and literally put my pieces together and got me back on my feet
If it can be imagined, it can be done, said Emil.

Laurie J. Marks's third novel in her ground-breaking and award-winning Elemental Logic series (following Fire Logic and Earth Logic) is a triumph of politics, fantasy, world-building, and intelligent design: of character, world, and magic.

Amid assassinations, rebellions, and the pyres of too many dead, a new government forms in the land of Shaftal—a government of soldiers and farmers, scholars and elemental talents, all weary of war and longing for peace. But some cannot forget their losses, and some cannot imagine a place for themselves in an enemy land. Before memory, before recorded history, something happened that now must be remembered. Zanja na’Tarwein, the crosser of boundaries, born in fire and wedded to earth, has fallen under the ice. Now, by water logic, the logic of patterns repeated, of laughter and music, the lost must be found—or the found may forever be lost.

By water logic, a cow doctor becomes a politician. A soldier becomes a flower farmer. A lost book contains a lost future. The patterns of history are made and unmade.

"In Water Logic, Laurie J. Marks's third Elemental Logic novel, a new government forms in the land of Shaftal. Now soldiers and farmers, scholars and elemental talents, weary of war, must fight to ensure revenge and retribution are not their only future. For there are those on each side who cannot forget their losses, and cannot imagine a place for themselves side by side with former foes in an enemy land." "And there is a mystery. Before memory, before recorded history, something once happened that now must be remembered. Now, by water logic, the logic of patterns repeated, the lost must be found - or the found may forever be lost."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie J. Marks's book Water Logic is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,610,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible