Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Easy Travel to Other Planets by Ted Mooney

Easy Travel to Other Planets

by Ted Mooney

My husband told me about this book. He said he had started reading it when he was 16, but after the first chapter he couldn't finish it. Out of curiosity, we ordered it from Amazon and I started reading it. It's uneven. There's some nice writing, but mostly it's just...weird. The dolphin sex thing makes it hard to take seriously. I've only been able to get halfway through it, since it can't really hold my attention. ( )
  nulacar | May 15, 2011 |
There's a lot to like about the way this novel chronicles the interpersonal drama among a group of intellectuals and artists. The conversations are stylish, fragmentary, and mediated; the prose is compressed, with a cinematic sense of editing; a quasifuturistic theme (interspecies communication) provides ample opportunity for strange riffs; an atmosphere of geopolitical tension permeates obscurely at all times, threatening, at any moment, to condense into apocalypse—at its best, it recalls the energy and thrust of early DeLillo. At its worst, it reads like high-end erotica posing as lit: Mooney's attention to the sexuality of his [female] protagonist lurches towards the prurient at times (in the first thirty or so pages of the novel, she participates in three sex scenes, including one with a dolphin). ( )
3 vote jbushnell | Sep 3, 2007 |

New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1981. Hardbound, about 8.5 inches tall, 278 pages. Dust jacket design by Cynthia Krupat; the jacket art is from a painting by David Hockney. This was the author's first novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

Ted Mooney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ted Mooney chatted with LibraryThing members from May 31, 2010 to Jun 13, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,456,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible