Face the Fire by Nora Roberts

Face the Fire (2002)

by Nora Roberts

Series: Three Sisters Island Trilogy (3)

Recently added byrena75, K9VB, WhiskeyintheJar, tejones, private library

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
Face The Fire is the conclusion to Nora Roberts' Three Sisters trilogy about a trio of witches and inhabitants of an island (Three Sisters) off the coast of New England who are forced to battle a three-hundred-year-old curse or suffer the consequences. Mia, the island's bookstore owner, most powerful witch, and last to face the curse, must also deal with her harbored heartbreak over ex-boyfriend Sam, who returns to Three Sisters and back into her life.

This is one of a few Nora Roberts series I can read again and again, and have often done so. Face The Fire served as my first introduction to Ms. Roberts' work or romance literature in general and I immediately fell in love, even though it was the conclusion to the Three Sisters' Trilogy. I think I wanted to be Mia! I loved everything about her life, home, bookstore, looks, and powers. She's such a compelling character and it was easy to feel drawn in. Since I entered this world on the tail end of the trilogy, I also swooned over Sam's charm and personality, not knowing the true extent of his exact faults or the consequences of his actions from any brief mentions in Dance Upon The Air and Heaven And Earth.

This novel made me an instant Nora Roberts fan (if it wasn't obvious enough). I frantically sought the first two in this series (this is still my favorite) and anything with her name on the cover afterwards. I love the way she gives her characters such depth and allows you to embrace them wholly, flaws and all. In fact, in my first reading, I found it hard to believe the characters were less than perfect. Their frustrations and emotional turmoils seemed reasonable. Reading now, over a decade later, I can see small yet agonizing character traits that don't quite fit. However, it's still a romance novel so the drama needs to happen somehow, am I right?

What made me pick up the book in the first place was the magical aspect to the storyline. That alone made it feel as though I was reading any other book and not a story of a bare-chested fantasy man with perfect pecs and long, flowing hair holding a beautiful, voluptuous fantasy woman with equally long, flowing hair. Ms. Roberts has a talent of telling a story in such imaginative detail that I'm there for every second of it, without any part feeling forced for the sake of conflict or unrealistic to the point of losing my connection with it.

After reading the first two and re-reading the third again, I'm pleased that I read it first as I found it to be by far the most enjoyable. Nell and Zack's romance was cute and Ripley and Mac were adorably sexy in their story, but Mia and Sam downright sizzled! Face The Fire indeed! It is also still my favorite NR book, and my favorite of her trilogies (the Gallagher trilogy at a very close second). Highly recommend, but do read the trilogy in order. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
Ahhh...the last of the trilogy and I think my very favorite. Lots of action and family bonding. Loose strings are tied into a perfect bow in this book. Loved it! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Apr 22, 2017 |
Liked this a lot. It was a good ending to the trilogy but I felt like Mia had the potential to be so much more interesting. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Out of the three books, this one was my favorite. I'm so glad that Mia and Sam were not only reunited but learned how to overcome past hurts and work together to save their love as well as the town with the help of their friends and family. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
Too mushy for me. Plus, I hate the "I'll never let another man in my heart again!" trope. Codswallop. But the magic was fun.

Still, I gorged myself on the story, mostly all in one sitting, and while I feel the need to detox, I still can't say I disliked the read. NR's knows how to write a scene, a setting, a friendship. She knows how to reuse, renew and recycle story elements too, but even though I saw her doing it I still kept reading. Not sure if that's a compliment to her or a slam on me, but there it is.

I liken these books to Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches (on white bread). They aren't meant to sustain or nourish, but every now and again, they hit the spot. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Larrea Paguaga, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ô amour ! Ô feu ! D'un seul long baiser,
Il a, jadis, aspiré mon âme entière
A travers mes lèvres ;
Comme le soleil levant boit la rosée.
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
O love! O fire! once he drew
With one long kiss my whole soul through
My lips; as sunlight drinketh dew.
--Alfred, Lord Tennyson
To lovers, old and new.
Elle avait le coeur brisé, au point que chaque instant de sa vie n'était qu'une souffrance.
Her heart was broken. The jagged shards of it stabbed at her soul until each hour, each moment, of what her life had become was a misery.

The final book in the New England-set trilogy that began with Dance Upon the Air and Heaven and Earth.

A stunningly beautiful, powerful witch who possesses the gift of Fire, Mia Devlin locked her heart away when Sam Logan rejected her youthful love and left Three Sisters Island. Eleven years later, Sam returns to the island to claim Mia and take over his family business, the Magick Inn. Passion still burns between them, but Mia refuses to trust the man who once tore her life apart, leaving her grieving and alone. It's imperative that they find a way to resolve their thorny, complicated relationship for time is running out and the deadline for breaking a centuries-old curse is near. Mia has the steadfast aid of her two sisters of the heart, powerful witches that rule Air and Earth, but without Sam's help, even Mia's powers may not be enough to keep her alive until the deadline. And unless Mia makes the right choice about her heart and Sam, evil may win in the final confrontation, destroying all their lives and Three Sisters Island as well.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513287X, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Three Sisters Island

Sensuality: 7

Face the Fire is the third and last book in bestselling author Nora Roberts's trilogy of witches, magic, and an age-old curse that began with Dance upon the Air and Heaven and Earth. This novel boasts a vivid seaside setting, sympathetic characters, and enough details about the practice of magic to intrigue the most cynical of readers. This is Roberts at her best. Don't miss it. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:20 -0400)

When Sam Logan, an old flame, returns to the island, Mia struggles to ignore the passionate bond between them, even as a centuries-old curse draws them together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,539,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible