Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott

Give Me Your Hand (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Megan Abbott (Author)

"Kit Owens harbored only modest ambitions for herself when the mysterious Diane Fleming appeared in her high school chemistry class. But Diane's academic brilliance lit a fire in Kit, and the two developed an unlikely friendship. Until Diane shared a secret that changed everything between them. More than a decade later, Kit thinks she's put Diane behind her forever, and she's begun to fulfill the scientific dreams Diane awakened in her. But the past comes roaring back when she discovers that Diane is her competition for a position both women covet: taking part in groundbreaking new research led by their idol. Soon enough, the two former friends find themselves locked in a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse that threatens to destroy them."--Dust jacket.… (more)
Member:redwritinghood38
Title:Give Me Your Hand
Authors:Megan Abbott (Author)
Info:Hachette Audio (2018), Edition: Unabridged
Rating:**

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott (2018)

Recently added byJoeDempsey, MendoLibrary

English (32)  Piratical (1)  All languages (33)
Megan Abbott is a ridiculously underrated author. She writes about womanhood, female relationships (as well as compulsory heterosexuality, lets be real), and the dark side of human desire in a way that shows she seems to Get It on a level above us all, and all the while delivering sardonic horror and beautiful prose in her writing that's unsettling in the best possible way.

Megan Abbott can do no wrong in my eyes. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
All the men in this book are assholes. I don’t even know how to process Diane.

FUCKING STEVIE SHOES. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
One of the best by one of the best.
A gripping tale of dreamy terror and fierce ambitions in the science world. Part Hitchcock, part Shirley Jackson, all Abbott. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
At 1:30 Saturday morning, I finished reading GIVE ME YOUR HAND. It was worth every one of those late minutes!

Kit Owens and Diane Fleming are not your normal teen girls. (I'm not sure if Megan Abbott has written any stories about normal teen girls, come to think of it.) They are good students and they both jog. They push each other to be better runners and they both come to realize that they want to be scientists. Every since the beautiful and mysterious Dr. Severin came to their school to talk about her lab work and what it meant to perform studies and to do research, they both dedicate themselves to their goal. Then Diane shares a dark secret with Kit, one that Kit can't get out of her mind-one that's eating her alive. But eventually Kit gets past it and they both graduate and move on with their separate lives.

Fast forward a number of years and Kit has achieved her goal. She works in Dr. Severin's lab and is vying for an important spot on a team studying PMDD, a horrible offshoot of PMS that causes all kinds of problems for women. She's almost certain to obtain that rare position-that is until she's told that Diane Fleming is also vying for the same spot. How will Diane's return affect Kit? Who will get those valuable positions on Dr. Severin's team? What about the secret they both share, how will it affect them now that they are together again? You'll have to read this to find out!

Megan Abbott's writing is pure gold and this book is no different. Inside the warped minds of teenage girls and then again inside their heads as women, she nails it. Not only that, she unflinchingly depicts what it's like for women in the mostly man's world of scientific academia. With fierce competition at hand these men are respectful...until they're not. As a woman in a mostly man's world, (just cars, nothing hoity toity like science), I could identify with these women and what they went through. In the end though, a scientific world and some chauvinistic attitudes are only a small part of this twisted tale.

I felt that the pacing of this story was fast and I had a difficult time pulling away from it. Just when I thought I'd read one more chapter something else would happen and I was compelled to read on. This is my favorite Megan Abbott book so far, (though I still have a few to read yet), and it was partially because I'm a super fan of the THEN and NOW format and it worked beautifully here. It helped build the tension and suspense and just kept me going on. And on. And on...until the stunning denouement that floored me. Floored me, I say!

GIVE ME YOUR HAND was an excellent mystery/thriller/suspense novel full of interesting and mysterious characters and it was a BLAST! I highly recommend it!

Available everywhere on July 17th, but you can pre-order your copy here: https://www.amazon.com/Give-Your-Hand-Megan-Abbott-ebook/dp/B074M6FK14/chashorco...

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*

Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
I liked it - it was weird. Not entirely believable, but kept my attention. ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
This was twelve years ago.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible