Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg

Dying Inside (original 1972; edition 2009)

by Robert Silverberg

Member:jrissman
Title:Dying Inside
Authors:Robert Silverberg
Info:Orb Books (2009), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book
Rating:*
Tags:fantasy

Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg (1972)

English (20)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
My favorite of Silverberg's books, and I think his masterpiece. The story of a man who can read minds, and is a complete and utter loser both in spite of and because of his "gift." Heartbreaking when his abilities begin to fade, and told in painfully honest first person style. I found this Easton Press Signed edition thanks to Abe Books, and it's a treasure. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 21, 2016 |
I remember when this this book came out to critical acclaim. I was so looking forward to reading it and was SO disappointed when I did! Joanna Russ' "And Chaos Died" came out somewhere around the same time, also highly acclaimed. I didn't like that one either as both were written in a very internalized, stream of consciousness style. These two books really marked a paradigm shift in how science fiction was defined. ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
The premise is good, and the slow degradation of the main characters sense of self was quite engrossing through the first half of the book. However, the second half becomes a bit self indulgent. ( )
  grandpahobo | Apr 7, 2015 |

David Selig reads minds. This extraordinary gift has caused him more trouble than anything else. He ekes out a living by ghost-writing term papers for college students. He fails miserably in his relationships, both with women and with friends and family. As his mind-reading power begins to wane, he reflects on the general mess he has made of his life. The book is not an uplifting read by any means, but the premise is intriguing. ( )
1 vote S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |

Robert Silverbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For B and T and C and me - we sweated it out
So, then, I have to go downtown to the University and forage for dollars again.

Imagine what it would be like if you could tell what the innermost thoughts and feelings of those around you were. Imagine if, as you reached middle age, you lost that ability. What would it do to you to be like everyone else?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:40 -0400)

Science fiction. From birth David Selig was both blessed and cursed with the ability to look into the innermost thoughts and hearts of people around him. As he grew he learnt to protect himself from the things he did not want to hear and eavesdropped on all that he did, using his powers for the pursuit of pleasure. But now having reached middle-age, David's powers are fading, slowly stranding him in a world he does not know how to handle, leaving him living on the outside but dying inside. Universally acclaimed as Silverberg's masterpiece, this is the harrowing and chilling story of a man who squandered his remarkable powers and then had to learn what it was like to be human.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,901,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible