Where My Body Ends and the World Begins by…

Where My Body Ends and the World Begins

by Tony Romano

1911758,400 (3.65)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I know people who lived through this tragedy and to this day everyone refuses to talk about it. Although the family is fictitious, it was really interesting to see a possible reaction to the event. ( )
  Music09 | Jun 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was fantastic! It's based a real event ,the 1958 horrible school fire in Chicago , that killed many students and nun instructors. It's the story of one person who survived and how the huge guilt he felt for being a survivor almost destroys his life. He breaks his leg, deliberately and a horrible ex cop who sees this takes it as proof that he was the one who set the fire and proceeds to make his life hell. He lives with his grandmother and talks to his dead sister, who died in the fire.There many twists and turns, but basically he begins to turn his life around and heal inside and out
  krisa | Feb 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Where My Body Ends and the World Begins by Tony Romano is a fictionalized story about survivor guilt after the death of 92 children and three nuns after a fire at Our Lady of the Angels school in the 50s of Chicago. The author does a good job making you feel the anguish of the main character, Anthony Lazzaro, who's sister died in the fire and who is also an unreliable character. I wanted to like this book more than I ended up but it was a very interesting story nonetheless. ( )
  ewright0519 | Feb 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The story, based on real events, intrigued me: a fictional survivor of a very real horrific school fire lives with the aftermath, dealing with survivor's guilt and PTSD (PTSD was never specifically addressed it was definitely implied). While the author tried to show all the aspects of the mental strains that such tragedies can cause, I felt he went a bit overboard and tried to encompass too many things without really bringing everything together. I respect that this story may have been cathartic for the author, but for the average reader who has no knowledge of the real tragedy behind the fiction it may seem unfinished and scattered.
I received this book through Library Thing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  glendalea | Feb 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book that I was given to by The Library Thing Early Reviewers. It was an interesting and emotional book based on a true and traumatic event that happened back in 1958 in Chicago. There was a fire at Our Lady of the Angels School that killed ninety-two children and a few nuns. The book is based on the guilt and mental anguish that one of the survivors suffers from. The families and community are effected by this event and deal with it in their own different ways. It was written in a way that I got lost a few times, but mainly because of the twist and turns of it being a thriller suspense type of book. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but was very curious of the dissociative behavior of the main character who lost his sister in the fire. It helped me to understand my mother who suffered sever mental health disorders.She had lost her baby brother and sister in a fire that she had started in a trash basket upstairs in her home as a small child. I was told that after she gave birth to me and my brother, she thought that were her siblings that she had lost in the fire. God was giving her another chance. We were removed from her care at an early age because of her instability and she was not taking good care of us because of her mental health issues. I was not able to get to know her till I was a young adult and she was on medication and was doing well. Bless her heart, I had no idea what she had suffered through. I could only imagine. This book helped too open my eyes to the survivors guilt that she and my grandma and grandpa suffered from. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  AprilAnnAmelung | Feb 9, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tony Romano's book Where My Body Ends and the World Begins is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,511,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible