Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Love, Stargirl (2007)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (2)

It seems that the only thing better than Stargirl itself is its sequel, Love, Stargirl. Told from the view of Stargirl, the novel is presented as "the world's longest letter" in diary form, which Stargirl intends to send to Leo at the end of the novel. Stargirl has started anew in Pennsylvania, but feels lonely and misses her old life in Mica, Arizona. She becomes friends with a 6-year-old named Dootsie, who accompanies her as she learns her way around her new town. Along the way, she encounters many unique individuals, including her agoraphobic neighbor, Betty Lou, and a new love interest by the name of Perry Delloplane. What sets this book apart from the original Stargirl novel are a few qualities that bring it about and beyond the original tale. Readers finally get to see the world from Stargirl's point of view, which is invigorating in of itself. Also, there are so many interesting characters that Stargirl meets in this sequel, which only adds to the appeal. Once you read this novel, Stargirl actually begins to feel more like a prequel to this story, the story from Stargirl's own words. Beautiful and enchanting, Love, Stargirl will be sure to capture anyone's heart. ( )
  kdavis17 | Nov 5, 2015 |
It was interesting to read this story from the pov of Stargirl as it gives us more insights on how her mind works and how she interacts with other people and her surroundings. I have to admit though that I like the first book more than Love, Stargirl. I find that there are too many characters that it sort of muddled the story. But the writer was able to tie it all up towards the end to give us a beautiful, hopeful ending. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 30, 2015 |
Our young lady grew up a lot since she left Arizona. Or maybe it's just that we're seeing her through her own eyes, instead of through Leo's bewitchment. A much more believable, accessible book. A bit like [b:Because of Winn-Dixie|24296|Because of Winn-Dixie|Kate DiCamillo|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167521174s/24296.jpg|25169] but, imo, better. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Stargirl is obviously trying to mend from a broken heart in a new place. She's a quirky character who shares her unique view of the world with new friends and neighbors. There were some cute moments in this novel (I particularly liked Dootsie). ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 18, 2015 |
Loved, loved, loved this book!! Loved Stargirl's voice. Loved Stargirl's humor. Loved Stargirl's outlook. Loved how Stargirl brought everyone together. Would have loved to meet Stargirl when I was a teen! Now, I've got to go back to read the first book, Stargirl. (Didn't realize/read that this was the first story continued, but since she "looks back" to the first book/previous year very often, it doesn't feel like I am missing important info by having read the second book first.

I highly recommend this YA book! A very enjoyable, quick, easy read. The protagonist is a 16 y.o. who befriends a 6 y.o., an 11 y.o. and an agoraphobic 40-something, in addition to a town's worth of others. This is not a YA romance (tho there is one kiss), more of a YA coming-of-age. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Leo,

Love, Stargirl is picking from Stargirl. This book will continue on Stargirl's life, there will be many other fun things happening in her life.In her writeing Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

LOVE, STARGIRL picks up a year after Stargirl ends and reveals the new life of the beloved character who moved away so suddenly at the end of Stargirl. The novel takes the form of "the world's longest letter," in diary form, going from date to date through a little more than a year's time. In her writing, Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

In Love, Stargirl, we hear the voice of Stargirl herself as she reflects on time, life, Leo, and - of course - love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Still moping months after being dumped by her Arizona boyfriend Leo, fifteen-year-old Stargirl, a home-schooled free spirit, writes "the world's longest letter" to Leo, describing her new life in Pennsylvania.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible