Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Love, Stargirl (2007)

by Jerry Spinelli

(9) 2007 (11) coming of age (10) diary (16) epistolary (9) fiction (80) friends (6) friendship (44) high school (8) homeschool (30) identity (7) individuality (14) Jerry Spinelli (7) letters (36) library (7) love (49) love story (13) novel (6) read (13) realistic fiction (38) relationships (21) romance (27) sequel (24) series (11) stargirl (21) teen (16) to-read (18) YA (64) young adult (60) young adult fiction (16)

The main character "Star girl" is as unique as her name. She is a 16 year old girl who had just been uprooted from here life to move to a whole new town. Her father has decided to leave his job as an engineer to become a milk man simply because it's what he has always wanted to do. The story is written as one big letter through a series of journal of entries to her ex boyfriend in her old town. Her best friends are a pet rat cinnamon and a six year old girl. She is home schooled and loves every minute of it. The story is about her adjusting to her new life and dealing with normal issues like love, and not so normal ones, like, making a solstice calendar. The book is filled with lots of interesting characters like the agoraphobic neighbor who is terrified of leaving the hose, and Dootsie an overly curious six year old who is know to escape in a moments notice. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Feb 12, 2014 |
This story follows "Stargirl" and her journey as her whole life is uprooted and she is forced to move away with her family from everything she's known, including her love, Leo. Through this journey, we follow Susan as she develops new friendships with the neighbors Dootsie and Betty Lou and faces challenges with disabilities, such as Dootsies agoraphobia. Through this journey of a 16 year old girls strife's and tribulations, we are able to read a long letter written to Leo, which in actuality is Susans journal entries.

This was a great read and I would definitely recommend it to young adults. ( )
  RiaO | Nov 28, 2013 |
This covers everything from being uprooted and leaving everything behind, first loves, diverse lifestyles, and disabilities (bipolar disorder and agoraphobia). I absolutely thought this was nothing short of sweet and endearing as well as a peek into the life of a teenager with a beautiful attitude and outlook on people as individuals. I listened to the audio version while driving to and from school and I was drawn in by its' contradicting depth. It was so simple on some levels (a day-to-day in the life of a teenager) and deep on others (learning about the life of an impoverished boy, an agoraphobic shut-in, a bipolar mother, and a young girl looking to be accepted).

This can be used to help children get an idea of what others go through. Perhaps it could help them see that each of us are struggling with something and to not judge others. ( )
  AdrienneWood | Sep 10, 2013 |
I ate this up very quickly, and I liked it better than the first book. Stargirl's point of view is so engrossing. I thought I knew how it would end because it's kind of given away at the end of the first book, but not quite, and it's really satisfying. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
If this weren't the sequel to one of the best pieces of writing in recent memory, I think this still would have been a great book. As it is, I was initially reluctant to give this book a chance. Now that I've bit the bullet so to speak, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It was a nicely done book. And it ended well, though it was hard to read a book which made a character like Stargirl into a vulnerable when she had seemed so impervious to the opinions of others in the first book. Still, it wa a good book. I enjoyed it. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Dear Leo,

Love, Stargirl is picking from Stargirl. This book will continue on Stargirl's life, there will be many other fun things happening in her life.In her writeing Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

LOVE, STARGIRL picks up a year after Stargirl ends and reveals the new life of the beloved character who moved away so suddenly at the end of Stargirl. The novel takes the form of "the world's longest letter," in diary form, going from date to date through a little more than a year's time. In her writing, Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

In Love, Stargirl, we hear the voice of Stargirl herself as she reflects on time, life, Leo, and - of course - love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:28 -0400)

Still moping months after being dumped by her Arizona boyfriend Leo, fifteen-year-old Stargirl, a home-schooled free spirit, writes "the world's longest letter" to Leo, describing her new life in Pennsylvania.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible