The Day of the Dead by Nicci French

The Day of the Dead (2018)

by Nicci French

English (20)  Dutch (2)  All languages (22)
Lola Hayes is having a difficult time choosing a topic for her dissertation in psychology when a professor suggests a subject that leads her down an obsessive road to murder. Interesting characters provide obstacles that leave Lola in peril and wondering how far she will go to make the grade.

I was randomly chosen to receive this book. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Nov 12, 2018 |
This book was so absorbing ; the charactors and detail and intense emotions. I regret not reading the previous books in the series. Loved the book - I can see why Louise Penny was so entralled. Loved the slow buildup to a fantastic finish! ( )
  juju2cat | Oct 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Day of the Dead from Nicci French is a fitting finale to the Frieda Klein series. This volume probably wasn't my favorite in the series but is still an exceptional novel. And yes, I admit, there is a chance that my rating is influenced a small bit by the series as a whole.

The interplay between Freida and Lola is interesting and the usual cast of minor characters are, as expected, fun. One of the most interesting aspects of the series as a whole is the intellectual side of any investigation. Where many novels use very basic cause and effect, and quite well in most cases, the cerebral back and forth in this novel (and series) makes it stand out.

Frieda is not the easiest person to love though she is not an unlikable character either. Her quirks are the type that would make her a difficult friend in real life. Yet they also make her a fascinating character.

I would certainly recommend this to fans of the series as well as fans of thrillers. While having read the previous novels would make some of the background easier to grasp I don't think it is absolutely necessary, you just won't fully catch some of the nuance between characters. So while I think this can be read as a standalone, I would suggest that anyone who likes reading a series put this one off and start with the first novel, Blue Monday. If you're resistant to following a series, then by all means enjoy this as a standalone. But be warned you may want to go back and read the previous books after meeting Frieda.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  pomo58 | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the final book in the series featuring Frieda Klein, and was a worthy finale. Frieda hides out from the world in order to protect her friends from murderer Dean Reeve, who is determined to find and kill her. Instead she is found by a young criminology student who then must be protected by Frieda. The cat and mouse game continues to its inevitable end in a satisfying way. Maybe Frieda will appear in future books. If not, I'll miss her, but will be looking for other books by this author. ( )
  terran | Sep 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m certainly a fan of a series. The more books in a series the better in my opinion. Some folks don’t like the feeling of commitment with five or more books, following the same characters on a mystery or whichever genre it may be – I figure I am going to be reading anyway and I like familiar characters, watching them grow as characters and in their personal and professional lives.

So, this is the end of the Frieda Klein series. Eight books total starting with Blue Monday and winding our way through the days of the week. As I’ve mentioned before, I read the Sunday book first so I read many spoilers. Still, I went to the beginning and read through. Sunday was the best book. Thursday was not my favorite and had a seriously slow start.

This last book, Day of the Dead, wrapped up the series and so I will no longer have Frieda, Reuben, Josef, Chloe, Jack and Karlsson in my life. Josef was my favorite of the sub-characters.

Frieda needed to disappear in the previous book and spent most of her time in this last book under the wire. A killer was on the loose and she was the target, a string of violent incidences and a conclusion that I could accept.

There was a character named Lola Hayes who is introduced early in this book. She needs a subject for her criminology classes and plans to explain how psychoanalyst Frieda Klein thinks, planning on interviewing those close to Frieda and working out a profile. By trying to discover more about Frieda she puts herself in danger and is forced, literally, to go on the run with our main character. It’s a cat and mouse game and a bloody one at that.

The beginning was slow for me and I’ll say I wanted a different ending to this eighth book saga. I wasn’t especially disappointed as all things were resolved, I would just like to have seen some characters end up differently. It’s hard to review this without giving out a very important factor that is a huge spoiler.

Lots of food mentioned throughout the book.

Butternut squash soup, burgers and beers, bowls of bean sprouts and Greek salad, a simple salad of tomato and avocado and a bread roll.

Spaghetti and red wine, a Ukrainian lamb dish and a bottle of vodka. A flat white and piece of carrot cake. Chicken sandwiches with lots of mayo and tomatoes.

“Frieda bought a cauliflower, some cheddar cheese, butter, milk and a half-baked baguette. She added a small jar of mustard to the basket, two chocolate bars, apples, a jar of marmalade and oatmeal. Later she cooked a mustardy cauliflower cheese which they ate with hunks of baguette.”

I bought a cauliflower and planned to make that cheese dish but I still haven’t gotten around to it.

Goodbye Frieda Klein – it was a good ride. Lots of mystery and I would certainly watch a television series if one was developed base don her character. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Sep 4, 2018 |
Voor Edgar, Anna, Hadley en Molly
Het was maandagochtend, onbewolkt en warm, te warm voor zo laat in de herfst.
It was a Monday morning, it was bright, it was warm, too warm for late autumn, and Charlotte Beck was about to experience the one really dramatic thing that would happen to her in her entire life.
"Can you forgive yourself?"

"Now the final book in this extraordinary series is here. And it's an ending you'll never forget... A decade ago, psychologist Frieda Klein was sucked into the orbit of Dean Reeve -- a killer able to impersonate almost anyone, a man who can disappear without a trace, a psychopath obsessed with Frieda herself. In the years since, Frieda has worked with -- and sometimes against -- the London police in solving their most baffling cases. But now she's in hiding, driven to isolation by Reeve. When a series of murders announces his return, Frieda must emerge from the shadows to confront her nemesis. And it's a showdown she might not survive. Criminology student Lola Hayes has tracked Frieda down with a single-minded pursuit: she wants to delve inside the mind of a woman besieged by darkness. But in following every move Frieda makes, Lola is exposing herself to the same terrors--and the same twisted fixation of a diabolical psychopath. This gripping cat-and-mouse thriller pits one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary fiction against an enemy like none other. Smart, sophisticated, and spellbinding, it's a novel to leave you breathless"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nicci French's book The Day of the Dead is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,606,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible