The Road to Vermilion Lake by Vic Cavalli

The Road to Vermilion Lake

by Vic Cavalli

1041,279,508 (4.75)None

I won this book as part of a giveaway. Many thanks to the author and publisher. This is an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It wonderfully integrates modern views with religious perspectives on relationships and marriage. A heart-warming, passionate read. ( )
  cryczak232 | Mar 26, 2019 |
Review of Road to Vermillion Lake

Road to Vermillion Lake, by Vic Cavalli, is an exquisite and poetic novel celebrating the sacred beauty of the Canadian Rockies and, more poignantly, physical intimacy in its purest potential form. Although the plot conclusion wasn’t what I expected, I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Premise: Tom, a long-time loner, has constantly dreamed of his first love Sally. He’s immersed himself for seven years in work; blasting through the rock to build a road to Vermillion Lake. He is dazzled by the advent of Johnny, a passionately-pure heroine who sets her sights and her heart on him. As the plot unfolds they fall in love.

Praise: The greatest strength of the author is the writing itself. Raw, delicately descriptive, and tender; with long rolling sentences that will make you feel like you can actually smell the fresh mountain air. I felt invigorated as I read; my senses waking up as I was transported there by the beautiful imagery. The themes of explosions and granite are fitting. There are layers of themes and symbolism; I feel I will lift much more depth from them if I read it a second time.
In this book, sex and love are pure, holy, and precious. The author is courageous and honest in his descriptions. The reader can taste the desire and longing; but not in a crass or graphic way. The intimacy of the lovers is glorified; they respect and cherish each other selflessly and wholly.

Criticism: The final plot conclusion surprised me. At the intro I was introduced and endeared to Sally; so I kept expecting her to return in a blaze of glory as the true love of Tom’s life and eclipse Johnny. Tom’s thought-patterns through the book, especially during shooting practice, seemed to hint at that eventuality.
Furthermore, there were some unusual blips that left me feeling unresolved and feeling somewhat confused; Johnny’s reaction to Hank’s dog (which I still don’t fully understand), and Carol’s out-of-the-blue proposition to Tom. Both seemed out of place to me. That said, I’ve only read the book once and may have missed something.
Finally, there was less conflict between the main characters than I would have expected. It felt too easy. With such different backgrounds and beliefs I was waiting for more fight. The relationship was blessedly harmonious. Johnny laid down her rules, expectations, and goals; and Tom agreed completely and at once, no questions asked, with no qualms about letting her lead the entire relationship her own way. While I admit that this does work since Tom has a such a peaceable and ‘pleaser’ personality, it doesn’t make for your typical ‘man as the head of the relationship’ dynamic. Johnny assumes the role of ‘I know best’ and Tom just says, ‘whatever you want, dear.’

Conclusion: This is a lovely flowing book that will take you to another place. I will likely read it again. ( )
  janessasuderman | Mar 5, 2019 |
"The Road to Vermilion Lake" by Vic Cavalli is a novel of of beauty. It is also one of personal growth. I was captivated by the writing, as it was almost poetic at times, but not so much that it took away from the overall storyline.

I'd never heard of Vermilion Lake before this, being I'm from the United States and it is in Canada, but now I definitly want to visit.

"The Road to Vermilion Lake" is a quick read at only 160 pages, but one that will change how you view the world. It is a beautiful work of literature. I'm surprised this is the author's first book.

I would recommend this book to fans of nature. I liked how the relationships weren't based on a carnal need but true communication. This is a novel of hope, love, and the beauty of nature. I can't recommend this book enough. ( )
  InsightsintoBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
When I first started reading The Road to Vermilion Lake, the title made me smile and what lured me to this read was the ambiance.

I simply could not put this book down and read it in one setting.

In truth, we all have more in common than we realize. Back in the day, many of us, myself included, owned an 8 track quadraphonic that played 4 channels. And to this day, I will happily loop "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin, as I head off to Vermilion in my blue Mustang. But that is enough about me.

This novel is shaped internally and reads like an extended lyrical composition.

I truly appreciate that the author writes with a quality of beauty and intensity so that it heightens my senses and I feel I've shared in the experiences.

There are many things that speak to me. Among them are, attachments to land, mentions of feet buried in wet sand, camp stove smells, utopian landscapes, and the soothing arrangements of Gregorian chants.

There is destruction, rebuilding, personal growth and a look at relationship dynamics that transcends more than just moans of pleasure and teaches us not only that hope is highly influential but that we can choose to be reverently dedicated to one another.

So, with this in mind, I believe it is a symbol of promise when his character states "my soul immediately returns to you".

I received this wonderful novel through the generosity of the author for an honest review. ( )
  LorisBook | Mar 12, 2018 |

“The novel tells the story of . . . Thomas Neal Tems, a blaster’s assistant and first-aid attendant who lives and works on a construction site beside a glorious, remote lake. The site is being developed by a Swiss company into an ecologically friendly village, and Thomas begins a romance with the talented and imaginative architect who designed the site, a devout Catholic. The world that the characters must navigate, however, is decidedly not a romantic one. It is marked by painful past experiences, dysfunctional families, tragic accidents, alcoholism, and drug overdoses, all of which seem to derive from an inability to reach beyond the superficiality of existence. And yet, this is a world of second chances, for those who desire to change their imaginative perspective, to seek a sense of depth and enchantment that is deeply embedded in the tangible world, particularly in the body and in the natural world, as well as in the creative world of contemplative thought.”

Midwest Book Review
Sharon Alker, PhD

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Vic Cavalli's book The Road to Vermilion Lake is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Vic Cavalli is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,139,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible