Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne…

Gregor and the Code of Claw (2007)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (5)

Dette kan jo ikke være siste bok i serien!!!
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Dette kan jo ikke være siste bok i serien!!!
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Summary: Gregor has faced many threats in his time in the Underland, and has been identified by the prophecies as the Warrior, who has helped to defend the Underlanders against the rat hordes under command of the Bane, a giant white rat who is most likely insane. But now Gregor is confronted with one final prophecy, The Prophecy of Time, which - like most prophecies - makes little sense, except for one thing: it very clearly predicts that the Warrior will be killed. As an army of rats approach the city of Regalia, Gregor tries keep his family safe while simultaneously helping the human forces to prepare their defense, and trying to keep control of his Rager nature before it consumes him. But the key to winning the ultimate battle for the fate of Regalia might not be Gregor at all. Instead, everything depends on the rats' secret communications... communications that are conveyed in a seemingly unbreakable code.

Review: This book was a satisfying conclusion to the series, at least on most fronts. It's pretty action-packed, although it felt more contained than other books - the action is happening over a relatively short time scale, and within a relatively small geographical area. Along with all of the action, though, there's also a good mix of strategy and thinking and planning, instead of 100% fighting, which helped balance things out. Everything, both the strategizing and the battle scenes, is well-described and easy to follow/visualize, which is not always the case for me.

I found the emotional aspect of this to be a little bit more of a mixed bag, however. The resolution to the "Warrior will be killed" part of the prophecy was glaringly obvious to me from the beginning of the book (because, really, I've read fantasy novels before. I know how this whole "prophecies that seem to clearly say one thing but might mean something totally different" thing works. Also, spoiler alert, mid-grade/YA novels tend not to end with the death of their protagonist.) The romance angle to the story ended somewhat less satisfyingly than I was expecting, although it was probably more realistic than a more satisfying ending would have been. But the emotional heart of this novel, for me, was Lizzie, and her coming into her own. I particularly loved her relationship with Ripred, and his ability to calm her panic attacks - I legit got choked up during that part, which was unexpected from a kids' book that features giant talking cockroaches. All in all, this book did an good job wrapping up the series while remaining engaging and fun to read. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Definitely don't start with the last book in the series. But the series as a whole is unique in its story and setting, and should be entertaining for mid-grade readers as well as older readers who need a bit of a break but don't want something that's entirely fluff. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jun 26, 2017 |
I devoured this series, and days after, still kept thinking about it.

There is no happy ending. (Oh, Ares. :( ) In fact, there is no neat ending. The image of Luxa possibly waiting and waiting for Gregor, it sticks to me.

I hated that this series is over. I didn't want to leave Underland. Well, it's a rotten place to be in, war-stricken and all, but I haven't been this attached to fictional characters in a long while. I want to see Hazard grown up. Maybe end up with Lizzie or Boots? My mind is already concocting fanfiction.

Brb going to find closure on fanfiction.net. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
This was a decent ending to an overall pretty good series. I feel like the later books don’t quite capture the magic of the first ones, but overall, it was a nice wrap-up that answered most of my questions without tying it into too pretty of a bow and leaving the future up to the reader’s imagination.

Code of Claw is the final battle of all the battle’s they’ve done in the Underland — the only problem is that the prophecies they’ve been following says that the warrior must die — which means that Gregor has to not only prepare for the end of the war, but also has to deal with the fact that everyone (including himself) believes that he will die in the war. For the most part, this creates a nice conflict where Gregor has to come to terms with his actions and his life; yes, he’s too young for that, but it leads to great character growth and helps him resolve a lot of the things that have been bothering him. It also causes some outside conflict where the leaders of the Underland are worried that he’ll run away to escape his death, so they’re keeping a close eye on him and assigning guards so that he can fight to win the war. I did like the fact that Gregor’s other sister has her time to shine in the Underland — every other one of his family members contributed in some way to the Underland’s struggle, and this time it was her turn, which was awesome. Her character also brought out some new dimensions in Ripred, which was also great to see.

The one thing that bothered me was that this novel a little too introspective. I expect the last book of a series to be exciting and dramatic (especially when there’s an ongoing war), and I didn’t get enough of that in this book, because too much time was spent on Gregor trying to figure himself out. So, I do think there could have been a better balance between the war and Gregor’s inner character growth.

Overall, however, I greatly enjoyed reading this. Some parts felt like a slog, but this is a great book that deals with the meaning of family, friendship, and love, while also touching on aspects of courage and selflessness. I would recommend it for people who love adventure books; it is most suited for early middle grade readers.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | May 1, 2017 |

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathy, Drew, and Joanie
Gregor's back pressed into the cold stone floor as he stared up at the words on the ceiling.
Gregor sat on a bench.  He had walked a lot today and all of his injuries were hurting.  Seeing the news had made him think.  He was safe for the moment, here in the playground, but people all over the world were suffering, starving, fleeing, killing one another as they waged their wars.  How much energy they put into harming one another.  How little into saving.  Would it ever change?  What would it take to make it change?  He thought of Luxa's hand pressed into Ripred's paw.  That's what it would take.  People rejecting war.  Not one or two, but all of them.  Saying it was an unacceptable way to solve their differences.  By the look of things, the human race had a lot of evolving to do before that happened.  Maybe it was impossible.  But maybe it wasn't.  Like Vikus said, nothing would happen unless you hoped it could.  If you had hope, maybe you could find the way to make things change.  Because if you thought about it, there were so many reasons to try.

The stunning conclusion to the Gregor the Overlander series, now in paperback!

Everyone in the Underland has been taking great pains to keep The Prophecy of Time from Gregor. Gregor knows it must say something awful but he never imagined just how awful: It calls for the warrior's death. Now, with an army of rats approaching, and his mom and sister still in Regalia, Gregor the warrior must gather up his courage to help defend Regalia and get his family home safely. The entire existence of the Underland is in Gregor's hands, and time is running out. There is a code to be cracked, a mysterious new princess, Gregor's burgeoning dark side, and a war to end all wars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Gregor finally learns the ancient prophecy, which foretells his death, he must gather his courage to defend Regalia from the army of rats, take his mother and sister home safely, and fight his own dark side.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible