Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne…

Gregor and the Code of Claw (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:porch_reader
Title:Gregor and the Code of Claw
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:2013, audio, juvenile, series

Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins (2007)

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. It was compelling, and I really did enjoy it, but so much of it was dedicated to foreshadowing Gregor's death that it was weird that he survived. It almost felt as though we'd been cheated because the promise given through foreshadowing wasn't delivered upon. On the other hand, I'm really grateful that I didn't have to deal with losing Gregor. It was bad enough losing Ares, thinking we lost Ripred, only to have the rug pulled from under us by his survival.

As a rule I don't like middle school romances, but Gregor and Luxa were so mature for their age, and their love was pretty innocent, and it felt genuine, so I didn't really mind.

One thing the story was missing was an affirmation that Gregor had made the right decision in sparing the Bane as a baby. There really ought to have been a moment when the rat showed some sort of compassion, because, although I hold that Gregor made the right choice in not murdering the innocent (as the time) baby Pearlpelt, others might disagree because he ultimately was a crazy, compassion-less creature, who even Twirltongue couldn't keep under control.

Gregor, Ares, Ripred, Luxa and even Lizzie grew so much in this book, but there wasn't a satisfying end. Gregor and Lizzie are having to deal with the baggage of having survived a war, and being stuck in a world that doesn't even know it. Boots is young, and probably going to forget the whole experience in time. Gregor's parents desperately want to forget the whole thing happened. Luxa is almost alone as the queen of the Underland, and she and Gregor don't look like they will ever see each other again, much less get married. For better or worse, Ripred is manipulating the Underlander's interpretation of the prophesies, Howard and Hazard have survived, but we don't know how they are faring, and so many characters are dead. I wish there was a companion series where Gregor and Luxa meet again, many years later, either willingly (and then get married) or with surprise because their kids run into each other, and they have to deal with their feelings for one another. As it is now, this series is very good, but feels unfinished, and that is frustrating. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
This is the final book to the Chronicles of the Underland series. Gregor is on the eve of confronting his destiny. War has come and he must kill the Bane. However, can Gregor trust the prophecies? This was a good end to the series. I like how Collins ended the series. It was clear that war meant more than battles and adventure, that it also meant loss and heartbreak. It also looked at how the experience of war can change a person, for better and for worse. It was fun and entertaining series, but it also makes the reader think about war and examine ethical dilemmas involved with conflicts. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
4 stars. The final book seemed to have a lot more violence in it.... and some pretty gruesome stuff at that. My kids handled it pretty well.
This was well written and a good series. We enjoyed. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
This was well written and a good series. We enjoyed. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathy, Drew, and Joanie
Gregor's back pressed into the cold stone floor as he stared up at the words on the ceiling.
Gregor sat on a bench.  He had walked a lot today and all of his injuries were hurting.  Seeing the news had made him think.  He was safe for the moment, here in the playground, but people all over the world were suffering, starving, fleeing, killing one another as they waged their wars.  How much energy they put into harming one another.  How little into saving.  Would it ever change?  What would it take to make it change?  He thought of Luxa's hand pressed into Ripred's paw.  That's what it would take.  People rejecting war.  Not one or two, but all of them.  Saying it was an unacceptable way to solve their differences.  By the look of things, the human race had a lot of evolving to do before that happened.  Maybe it was impossible.  But maybe it wasn't.  Like Vikus said, nothing would happen unless you hoped it could.  If you had hope, maybe you could find the way to make things change.  Because if you thought about it, there were so many reasons to try.

The stunning conclusion to the Gregor the Overlander series, now in paperback!

Everyone in the Underland has been taking great pains to keep The Prophecy of Time from Gregor. Gregor knows it must say something awful but he never imagined just how awful: It calls for the warrior's death. Now, with an army of rats approaching, and his mom and sister still in Regalia, Gregor the warrior must gather up his courage to help defend Regalia and get his family home safely. The entire existence of the Underland is in Gregor's hands, and time is running out. There is a code to be cracked, a mysterious new princess, Gregor's burgeoning dark side, and a war to end all wars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Gregor finally learns the ancient prophecy, which foretells his death, he must gather his courage to defend Regalia from the army of rats, take his mother and sister home safely, and fight his own dark side.

101 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,915,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible