All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of…

All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages (edition 2018)

by Saundra Mitchell (Author)

From a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood set in war-torn 1870s Mexico featuring a transgender soldier, to an asexual girl discovering her identity amid the 1970s roller-disco scene, this collection of short stories crosses cultures and time periods to shed light on a world where queer figures live, love and shape the world round them.… (more)
Member:KLHtet
Title:All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages
Authors:Saundra Mitchell (Author)
Info:Harlequin Teen (2018), Edition: Original, 368 pages
Tags:to-read

All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages by Saundra Mitchell (Editor)

Look this was a collection of queer short stories, I was pretty much guaranteed to like it.

RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
This historical fiction anthology features a variety of realistic, poetic, and fantasy stories of LGBTQIA teens with an emphasis on adventure and hopeful endings.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 12, 2019 |
This made my heart so happy - reading about queer love in all its many forms through the ages was fantastic. I only knocked it down one star because several stories felt more like beginnings to longer tales, and when they ended I felt so unsatisfied! It was also jarring to switch from one story to the next, since they're all in such different eras, but such is the beauty of an anthology. Space these stories out for a dose of queer sweetness - especially recommended if you're working your way through a heavy/long book. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

This was one of my most-anticipated books of 2018 and while it was great, it did fall a little shy of expectations. There were all kinds of queer characters (including ace rep!) and I loved reading about them all. It was great how the stories spanned so many different time periods. Even if you're not big on historical fiction (like myself), you'll still find things to enjoy in this collection.

Sometimes sight is a more powerful way of hearing than sound.

My rating for each story:

Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Sweet Trade by Natalie C. Parker ⭐⭐⭐⭐
And They Don't Kiss at the End by Nilah Magruder ⭐⭐⭐
Burnt Umber by Mackenzi Lee ⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Dresser & the Chambermaid by Robin Talley ⭐⭐⭐⭐
New Year by Malinda Lo ⭐⭐⭐ (cw racism)
Molly's Lips by Dahlia Adler ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (cw off-page suicide)
The Coven by Kate Scelsa ⭐⭐⭐
Every Shade of Red by Elliot Wake ⭐⭐⭐ (cw deadnaming)
Willows by Scott Tracey ⭐⭐⭐
The Girl with the Blue Lantern by Tess Sharpe ⭐⭐⭐
The Secret Life of a Teenage Boy by Alex Sanchez ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Walking After Midnight by Kody Keplinger ⭐⭐⭐⭐
The End of the World As We Know It by Sara Farizan ⭐⭐⭐
Three Witches by Tessa Gratton ⭐⭐⭐
The Inferno & the Butterfly by Shaun David Hutchinson ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Healing Rosa by Tehlor Kay Mejia ⭐⭐⭐⭐

That is the secret to survival. Teach fear to those who taught you to be afraid.

My average rating was 3.58 stars, rounded down to 3.5. My biggest problem with the lower-rated stories were mostly that they felt too rushed to me. There were several where I didn't feel like enough time had been spent developing characters and their relationships and things felt rushed to me. There were also some stories where either the fantastical elements or the lack of directness by the authors caused me some confusion about what was actually happening. It was for these reasons that I marked some things down.

Regardless, this was a really nice read and I think anyone interested should pick it up. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
I finally forced myself to read the last few pages of this. I was stuck at 92% for way too long with only one story left to read. Tonight I decided to just get it done and can say that this overall collection is enjoyable. As with any collection of short stories, some work better than others, but overall this a solid collection. I would highly recommend it for someone looking for a historical slant to some diverse stories. ( )
  CassieWinters | Oct 30, 2018 |

Sharpe, TessContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talley, RobinContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tracey, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wake, ElliotContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Saundra Mitchell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible