Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov

Fantastic Voyage (original 1966; edition 1988)

by Isaac Asimov

Member:Skaidon
Title:Fantastic Voyage
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Bantam (1988), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov (1966)

English (15)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (18)
After a scientist named Benes is successfully transported into the country from enemy territory, an assassination attempt leaves him with a dangerous and inoperable clot at the base of his brain.

The situation falls under the jurisdiction of the CMDF (Combined Miniature Defense Force) run by General Alan Carter and Colonel Donald Reid. Once Benes is stabilized far underground in CMDF headquarters, a team is formed that will be miniaturized and injected into Benes’s bloodstream to destroy the clot from inside his body using a laser.

The team consists of civilian CMO Michaels, neurosurgeon Peter Duvall and his assistant Cora Peterson, special agent Charles Grant—who smuggled Benes into the country—and Captain William Owens, designer and pilot of the experimental submarine Proteus, which will carry the crew through Benes’s circulatory system. They are given one hour to complete the mission and exit Benes’s body before the miniaturization effect begins to reverse.

As if this were not dangerous enough, there is suspicion that one among the crew might be an agent for the Other Side, sent to kill Benes. Every setback and mishap causes yet another member of the team to come under scrutiny as precious time ticks away…

Contrary to popular belief, the classic film Fantastic Voyage was not based on the novel by Isaac Asimov. It’s the other way around. Otto Klement and Jay Lewis Bixby wrote the original story, which was adapted for the screen by Harry Kleiner and David Duncan. Asimov was hired on to write the novelization of the movie and he did a decent job with the material. While character development is non-existent (with the most interesting being Grant, Duvall, Michaels, and Peterson) the pacing is perfect and the challenges that plague our heroes at almost every turn maintain solid tension through to the end. ( )
  pgiunta | Feb 2, 2018 |
I was just trying to remember when I first became a science fiction fan ... I remember reading Fantastic Voyage when I was about 13.
Borrowed the book from my school (Katong Convent in Singapore) library; and remember loving it.

It's possible I'll remember earlier books that belong in the SF genre, but for now (Jan 2016), perhaps this might serve as my first :)
I remember being fascinated by the biology and science incorporated into the narrative.
Hard" Science still has a special place in my heart ... makes it go pitter-patter ;-)

"
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Saw it after seeing the movie. One of Asimov's best. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
For a long time I was convinced Asimov had stolen the idea for this book directly from my mind...We see the characters miniaturized and then injected into a body in an effort to save the life of a famous scientist. Passively, we also learn a lot about the workings of the human body along the way. The film is just screaming to be re-made now that we so much better facility for special effects. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Boring and overly simple. Almost zero character development. A huge disappointment for an Asimov novel. ( )
  travelster | Jun 10, 2015 |
Dédié à Mark et Marcia
Qui m'ont forcé la main.
It was an old plane, a four-engine plasma jet that had been retired from active service, and it came in along a route that was neither economical nor particularly safe.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553275720, Mass Market Paperback)

Four men and a woman are reduced to a microscopic fraction of their original size, sent in a miniaturized atomic sub through a dying man's carotid artery to destroy a blood clot in his brain. If they fail, the entire world will be doomed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible