The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping,…

by Cait Flanders (Author), Cait Flanders (Narrator), Tantor Audio (Publisher)

Member:jamesshelley
Title:The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
Authors:Cait Flanders (Author)
Other authors:Cait Flanders (Narrator), Tantor Audio (Publisher)
Info:Tantor Audio (2018)
Collections:Read but unowned

The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store by Cait Flanders

This is one of my new favorite non-fiction reads! (And I don’t normally choose non-fiction!) Cait decided to put a shopping ban in place for one year. There were certain rules in place like she was able to buy groceries/replace items she used up, but she wasn’t allowed to impulse buy clothes, candles, etc. She sorted through her belongings and got rid of things she didn’t use or love. It inspired me to want to do an early “spring cleaning” soon! ( )
  kstadt929 | Jan 27, 2019 |
An interesting listen, while I don't think I could tackle of of what she did I feel motivated to be more mindful about things. ( )
  magickislife | Nov 20, 2018 |
As other reviewers have pointed out, this book wasn't really what I expected or wanted. There was a lot of focus on the author's former alcoholism and mention of past binge eating, binge Netflix watching, getting out of debt (also in the past), work stress, and many pages devoted to dealing with her parents' divorce, which did happen in the middle of her shopping ban year. The author clearly has an addictive personality and was suffering from depression as a result of the divorce, but she ended up glossing over a lot of how that actually got resolved and didn't seem to get any therapy for it. There were lots of throwaway pieces about how she suddenly decided to simplify X in Y way and it felt like everything was thrown in to pad out the book. As an example, on the last page before the epilogue there was a single paragraph on how she suddenly realized she had stopped wearing makeup and caring about how other people might judge her for that. Which, great, and I guess it sort of fits the theme but...??? Either flesh out those ideas much more, or leave them out.

I'm personally trying not to buy so much stuff and this month decided I'd try my own shopping ban through the end of the year. I was hoping to read a book about someone else's experience with the same thing and get some more insights that would help make it easier. There were some good nuggets--especially the linking of reduced spending to much more career freedom since you don't have to earn as much. But the "stop shopping" part of the book could have been reduced to a magazine article (or blog post) and the rest was mostly not about that. It was a quick read, but it also could have used a better editor. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
Not what I was expecting. This is the tale of a young woman's journey through a difficult time in her life, a symptom of which was mindless consumerism. She does a good job of explaining her process, but this is not a book about decluttering or minimalism per se. There are some great finance tips if you are living a similar experience, but this is not the book for anyone looking to get motivated to downsize. ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | Aug 18, 2018 |
The Year of Less

A personal memoir of a young woman’s struggle with various addictions and how she streamlined her life to find happiness.

⭐️⭐️⭐️

SUMMARY
Cain Flanders found herself stuck in the consumerism cycle that grips many of us: earn more, buy more, want more, repeat. After she worked her way out of nearly $30,000 of consumer debt her old habits took hold again. When she realize that nothing she was buying was making her happy—only making things worse—she decided to set a challenge for herself. She would not buy anything for herself for one year. She also decluttered her apartment and got rid of seventy percent of her belongings, learned how to fix things rather than throw them away and completed a television ban. She soon found that the less she consumed the more fulfilled she felt. Her challenge served as a lifeline when various situations during the year turned her life upside down. Her changed habits helped her realize what truly matters.

“One lesson I’ve learned countless times over the years is that whenever you let go of something negative in your life, you make room for something positive.”

REVIEW
I felt very much like I was listening to Cait tell me her life story. It was very conversational and much more than I was expecting. She shares not only about the habits she was trying to change, but also goes deep into her struggle with alcoholism and her weight, her unhappiness with her career, her troubled relationships and the huge impact of her parents divorce.

I’m a firm believer in the benefits of retail therapy and a shopping ban sounded like... well, I can’t even imagine. That’s precisely why I wanted to read it. Is it even doable? What are the rules? She provided some great guidelines that would serve as a good starting point for those who might be interested in starting a shopping ban. Anyone interested in streamlining and simplifying their life might enjoy this very personal self-help story. Cait was able to live on less, save more, and do more of what she loved. Isn’t that what we all want?
Publisher Hay House
Published January 16, 2018
Narrator Cait Flanders
Review www.bluestockingreviews.com

“The ban uncovered the truth, which was when you decide to want less, you can buy less and, ultimately need less money.” ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Jul 30, 2018 |
For my family, and for Mollie and Lexie. I'll miss you forever, sweet girls.
The idea was born on a trail, as many of mine seemed to be.

"[This book documents the author's] life for twelve months during which she bought only consumables: groceries, toiletries, gas for her car. Along the way, she challenged herself to consume less of many other things besides shopping. She decluttered her apartment and got rid of 70 percent of her belongings; learned how to fix things rather than throw them away; researched the zero waste movement; and completed a television ban. At every stage, she learned that the less she consumed, the more fulfilled she felt. The challenge became a lifeline when, in the course of the year, [the author] found herself in situations that turned her life upside down. In the face of hardship, she realized why she had always turned to shopping, alcohol, and foodand what it had cost her"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,660,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible