Julius Zebra: Entangled with the Egyptians!…

Julius Zebra: Entangled with the Egyptians! (2017)

by Gary Northfield

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My eight year old niece loved this book. She's just now getting into chapter books and the interspersed comic illustrations really helped her move through the book and understand the rest of the text. I thought the story was just okay, but I'm not really the audience for it, so I take her opinion over mine on this one. ( )
  blueviolent | Jan 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love reading all types of books and I really try hard to leave positive reviews, but this one I just could not get through! It's aimed at upper elementary, but requires a knowledge of Egyptian history that many don't have. In fact, I felt like I missed many of the jokes due to lack of specific historical knowledge. The animals are dumb, not kind, and not funny, to me at least. I had my 13yr old son read it too and his final opinion was "meh." The format is popular, with frequent cartoon illustrations mixed in with the text, and the cover design is enticing, but the content is just unappealing.

I realize this is also the 3rd book in a series of which I haven't read the first two, so perhaps if you start at the beginning it would all make a little more sense. I don't believe that would turn things around for me though.

*** I received this ARC through the LibraryThing Early Review program. *** ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Dec 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In Julius Zebra: Entangled with the Egyptians! by Gary Northfield,Julius and his friends find themselves shipwrecked along the Nile. A series of coincidences causes Julius to be mistaken for Heter, the Egyptian horse god, by some Egyptian soldiers. Their misadventures begin there.

This book is the third in a series about Julius Zebra, but the author does a good job of introducing the characters for anyone who picked this one up first. The cartoons integrated into the story help to move the plot along and the back of the book is full of facts about Ancient Egypt. The story itself is peppered with information about Egypt. This would be a good book for a young or reluctant reader that prefers funny books. They might even learn a few things about Ancient Egypt. ( )
  jugglingpaynes | Dec 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Julius Zebra is a zebra who is trying to chase someone and ends up in Egypt. While in Egypt he is mistaken for a horse-god. The book is a nice blend of humor and wit.

My older elementary school kid got ahold of the book and devoured it. He read it in about a night and a half and laughed his way through it. The generous blend of illustrations and chapter book style writing made it possible for him to stay engaged and not find the book too challenging. ( )
  eo206 | Dec 21, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Julius Zebra is not your ordinary zebra. He obviously has an amazing aptitude for getting into trouble. When Julius is mistakenly identified as the Egyptian Horse God Heter, he decides to go with it and have some fun. That is, until he realizes that pretending to be an Egyptian pharaoh carries some stiff consequences - to the pretender and also his companions.

This book appears to attract kids who like Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Cartoons and narrative intermix freely throughout the book. As a middle school teacher, I've read many middle school books that I thoroughly enjoyed and recommended. This isn't one of them. I will put it in my library and hope that maybe some students will enjoy it. However, I personally felt the plot was bogged down and plodded its way through the book. Julius was just too silly to be funny.

On the other hand, I will praise the author for weaving Egyptian historical facts and trivia throughout the book and even including a couple of appendixes and a glossary. I hope that children reading it will be encouraged to learn more about that fascinating era of history. ( )
  julieaduncan | Dec 21, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Gary Northfield's book Julius Zebra: Entangled with the Egyptians! is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,682,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible