Careless Love by Peter Robinson

Careless Love (edition 2018)

by Peter Robinson (Author)

Member:Twink
Title:Careless Love
Authors:Peter Robinson (Author)
Info:McClelland & Stewart (2018), 352 pages
Rating:****1/2

Careless Love by Peter Robinson

Three seemingly unrelated but strange deaths occur over the same weekend. Inspector Banks and Winsome Jackman handle one--a young girl found dead sitting in the front seat of an out of order car., Annie Cabot and Gerry Masterson handle the second--a well dressed man fallen down an embankment, while the third is handled out of a different precinct--a young girl found dead in a remote shed.. Will the three be related?

In an interesting read, the old crew is back for another adventure. It is a police procedural so there's not a lot of action. the plot is interesting but not intriguing. Although a good read, I've read better from Robinson. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Dec 31, 2018 |
A young woman apparently commits suicide, but the location of her death makes no sense: in a parked car on a country road, even though the woman didn’t drive. An older man’s body is found at around the same time, apparently dying from an accidental fall into a gully, but why was he dressed so formally and why no identification? As Detective Superintendent Alan Banks and Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot ponder these mysteries, the new girlfriend of Annie’s father Ray provides a clue that only deepens the puzzles, a difficult situation made more so by a lack of resources to investigate as thoroughly as they’d like. When yet another body turns up, this time on someone else’s turf, it appears that none of these things can be random - or unconnected…. This is the 25th novel in this long-running series, and it is as satisfying as ever. The relationships between the main characters always deepen with each new novel, and the crimes themselves are equally as complex and fascinating to try to fathom. I also always enjoy Banks’ musings on music, particularly jazz and rock from the 1960s; in this instance, he has also started exploring the world of poetry more in depth, which was a lot of fun to read about. Recommended - but start at the beginning of the series, otherwise you’ll miss a lot by the time you reach novel number 25! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 5, 2018 |
DS Alan Banks returns in Careless Love - the 25th entry in this long running and much loved series from Peter Robinson. (Yes, I've read every one!)

I never bother reading the synopsis before I turn the first page of the latest Banks book. I already know I'm in for a great read. And so I happily settled in on a rainy Sunday morning.

A young girl's body is found in an abandoned car. Suicide or something else? Banks and DS Winsome Jackman take on this case. DI Annie Cabot and newer addition DC Gerry Masterson are called out to another death. A man has fallen to his death off an embankment - or has he been pushed?

I'm always happy to reconnect with these characters and see where life has taken them. Robinson has moves their lives along in real time. Careless Love find Banks pondering love... "Banks wasn't even lonely most of the time - it had been over twenty years since he had split up with Sandra - but there were days when he ached for a companion, a love, someone to share it all with."

So, great characters - but Robinson's plotting is just as wonderful. The mysteries are intelligent and intricately plotted. I appreciate the solving of the crimes - the interviews, the piecing together of clues and the connections. A criminal from both Annie and Alan's past surfaces in an unexpected context. The desire to capture him is high on both their lists. This thread will lead nicely into the next book.

Banks' love of music and his new interest in poetry have often sent me to the web to listen or read what has been mentioned. While I appreciate them, I did find there were perhaps a few too many references in this latest.

For me, Robinson's writing is such a pleasure to read. I enjoyed this latest and can't wait for number twenty six! ( )
  Twink | Oct 25, 2018 |
Careless Love
By
Peter Robinson

What it's all about...

A young girl is found dead in the midst of a car crash that she wasn’t even involved in. A man is found dead...as though he simply fell off of a cliff. Then another young girl is found dead...all under mysteriously odd ccircumstsnces. But as is typical of Inspector Banks books...there are just too many mysterious unexplained circumstances and the more he digs...the more he finds.

Why I wanted to read it...

Inspector Banks...I am so fond of him...he likes music and wine and cheese. He loves his car. He knows how to dig deep into cases to find out what really happened.

What made me truly enjoy this book...

This book was absorbing from the start. I love the writing, the settings and the characters. I read every one of this author’s books. I find them wondrous.

Why you should read it, too...

Readers who love a good English mystery will love this book.

I received an advance reader’s copy of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss and Amazon. It was my choice to read it and review it. ( )
  PattyLouise | Sep 22, 2018 |
Very readable police procedural.

Bank's small team is called to deal with 2 deaths, one a young female uni student, and the other a financier in his 60s. At first the deaths do not seem to be murders but there is no way to explain how the bodies came to be where they are. The young woman appears to have died from a drug overdose but she is sitting in a car waiting to be towed away, and she wasn't there just days before. The man on the other hand is at the bottom of a gully on the moors with a broken neck. It seems unlikely that he walked there.

Then Banks is notified by a colleague of another dead girl and investigation seems to throw up links with the first girl.

I must admit that I came up with a scenario that connected everything up, about 100 pages bcfore the end, but I'm delighted to report that I was wrong!

I love the character development in these novels, both of Banks' team getting on with their lives, and the new characters who become part of the investigation.

There are references to plots from earlier titles in the series (hard to believe we are up to #25), and I should warn readers that the plots have taken a very different path to those of the television series. ( )
  smik | Aug 27, 2018 |

Peter Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Malmsjö, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A young local student has apparently committed suicide. Her body is found in an abandoned car on a lonely country road. She didn't own a car. Didn't even drive. How did she get there? Where did she die? Who moved her, and why?Meanwhile a man in his sixties is found dead in a gully up on the wild moorland. He is wearing an expensive suit and carrying no identification. Post-mortem findings indicate he died from injuries sustained during the fall. But what was he doing up there? And why are there no signs of a car in the vicinity?As the inconsistencies multiply and the mysteries proliferate, Annie's father's new partner, Zelda, comes up with a shocking piece of information that alerts Banks and Annie to the return of an old enemy in a new guise. This is someone who will stop at nothing, not even murder, to get what he wants - and suddenly the stakes are raised and the hunt is on.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,791,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible