Moonstruck Volume 1: Magic to Brew by Grace…

Moonstruck Volume 1: Magic to Brew (edition 2018)

by Grace Ellis (Author), Shae Beagle (Artist), Kate Leth (Artist)

"In the little college town of Blitheton, fantasy creatures live cozy, normal lives right alongside humans, and werewolf barista Julie strives to be the most normal of all. But all heck breaks loose when she and her new girlfriend Selena go on a disastrous first date that ends with a magician casting a horrible spell on their friend Chet. Now it's up to the team of mythical pals to stop the illicit illusionist before it's too late! Collects issues 1-5 of the brand-new, all-ages, magical, coffee-laden adventure from Lumberjanes creator Grace Ellis and talented newcomer Shae Beagle, featuring a story-within-the-story with art from Kate Leth!"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Moonstruck Volume 1: Magic to Brew
Authors:Grace Ellis (Author)
Other authors:Shae Beagle (Artist), Kate Leth (Artist)
Info:Image Comics (2018), 120 pages
Collections:2019, Your library
Tags:comic, fiction, fantasy, magic, werewolves, cryptids, ghosts, witches, romance, adventure, lgbtqia, series: moonstruck

Moonstruck vol. 1: Magic to Brew by Grace Ellis

This graphic novel is awesome! It is Diverse, Inclusive, magical, and fun! Moonstruck is set in a universe where centaurs and lesbian werewolves work together in coffee shops that serve everyone. Two werewolves, Selena and Julie are in the very beginning stages of a relationship and are still getting to know each other when they go on a date that includes Chet, their centaur friend, who ends up becoming human in an evil magic show and loses his horse butt. While funny, the graphic novel does an amazing job of showing how disastrous and emotionally traumatizing this is to him. The girls and their friends have to help find the evil magician that put on the magic show, get Chet’s butt back, and stop him from hurting others all while trying to figure out their feelings and new relationship!

The main character, Julie the werewolf, is pretty whiny and emotional, but she is a great representation of how feelings of others need to be respected and how to be kind. Overall, this was a great book! ( )
  lispylibrarian | Dec 11, 2019 |
I was super excited when I saw this title. I want so much to be able to give it 5 stars. But I can't. It really deserves a 2.5 because of glaring problems in the storyline. There is a parallel short story running at the same time that is quite honestly confusing. The plot progresses as if the reader knows information about characters, but we really don't. The ending is just a big ole mess.

That being said, the world is one I am interested in. The art is beautiful, and the diversity is a joy to see. I will be looking for more in this series, and hoping for a progression in the writing. ( )
  tkappleton | May 12, 2019 |
Julie has had one date with perfect Selena and on the second her BFF and coworker the centaur Chet loses his butt to the evil fox magician with a ghost assistant. Getting the but back offers challenges to the relationship and a tour through a world - or corner of a world - where being human seems to be the rarer disability. Fun art and an amusing cast. ( )
  quondame | Dec 24, 2018 |
Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I liked it. The art is fantastic, the colors are amazing. The story had some very good and relatable parts, but there was a lot in a short time. And the resolution was rushed and didn't make a lot of sense. I definitely felt connections to the characters and will most likely continue reading. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible