Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Body in the Ballroom: An Alice Roosevelt…

The Body in the Ballroom: An Alice Roosevelt Mystery (edition 2018)

by R. J. Koreto (Author)

Member:Critterbee
Title:The Body in the Ballroom: An Alice Roosevelt Mystery
Authors:R. J. Koreto (Author)
Info:Crooked Lane Books (2018)
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, victorian, netgalley

The Body in the Ballroom by R. J. Koreto

I was thrilled to get the chance to read the sequel to Alice and the Assassin. Alice Roosevelt is a fabulous character, just as colorful in the series as she was in real life. Joseph St. Clair returns to be her bodyguard in the book and one of the first events they do are a ball. Well, not together, it's Alice that's going to the ball, Agent St. Clair is just waiting for her and playing poker with drivers, etc. Just a peaceful evening. Until Alice finds St. Clair and tells her there is a dead body...

The Body in the Ballroom is a good sequel to Alice and the Assassin. I have become quite fond of Alice Roosevelt. She's a bit unconventional and that's something I truly enjoy. It would be great fun to see her interact with her cousin Eleanor in some book in the future. Especially since they don't like each other.

The man that was killed was pretty much hated by everyone, but when a good friend to both Alice and St. Clair is accused of the murder must they act fast to catch the real murderer. Now they just have to find who hated him enough to kill him. The drawback with this murder investigations was that I suspected the truth for a long time before it was revealed that I was right. It was not that hard to figure out the truth, to be honest. The story would have been much more interesting if there had been some surprising twist to it. But, all and all a really nice book and I will definitely read more books in the series.

I want to thank Crooked Lane Books for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
The Body in the Ballroom: An Alice Roosevelt Mystery was a nice historical murder mystery centered around former president Teddy Roosevelt’s daughter Alice and her Secret Service Agent/Bodyguard Joseph St. Clair. This book is second in the Alice Roosevelt series but stands fine as a stand alone read. While at a ball a member of high society, Lynley Brackton dies after taking a poisoned drink. His wife later claims she knows the drink was meant for her. Alice and St. Clair try to solve the mystery because someone they know is being wrongfully accused.

As the story unfolds clues are being put together, they interview the wife, people who knew Brackton and even stumble on a secret wedding along the way. There is a diverse cast of characters here and the topic of class status and race are women into the story-line as well.

I liked Alice right away. She’s smart and sassy. I liked St. Clair too, they work well together. The dialogue between these two was entertaining. The writing pulled me right along and this one was a quick read.

As far as the mystery went it made sense and it wasn’t too hard to figure out. The ending wraps up and there is room for another installment. At the end of the book the author includes a note saying he based Alice and a few other characters in the book on real people.

Lastly, I also like the cover on this one, the teal is pretty. If you check out the author’s site there’s some nice covers on his other books too.

disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I received my free copy of The Body in the Ballroom: An Alice Roosevelt Mystery through Partners In Crime Book Tours. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jul 26, 2018 |
historical-novel, historical-fiction, historical-figures, historical-places-events, law-enforcement, murder-investigation, humor -----

The author totally captures the spirit of Alice Roosevelt! The exasperated staff (and even a brief appearance of her father during his presidency), the kinds of attitudes held by certain segments of the public, and her penchant for pushing the envelope all ring true based on public accounts. But this is fiction, and fascinating, as is the construction of the investigation into the murders and a number of side issues as well. The publisher's blurb gives hints and there is no need for spoilers, but that can't begin to prepare you for all the laughs! There are lots of twists, suspense, and red herrings, and lots of hilarious situational and verbal humor. I really loved this fun read!
I requested and was lucky to receive a free review copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Today I bought a copy! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jun 12, 2018 |
Alice Roosevelt and her Secret Service bodyguard Joseph St. Clair are on the case again when Alice witnesses a murder at a swanky social event. Lynley Brackton has a glass of the Rutledge's infamous punch and then dies. Alice doesn't really get involved until the New York police arrest the mechanic who worked on his car and who works on the Roosevelt cars too. Peter Carlyle is a black man.

Alice knows that the murderer has to be a member of the highest society and that the police aren't able to investigate there. It is up to her and St. Clair to see that justice is done. As Alice pays condolence calls on affected members she finds a tangled mess of personal relations and business connections. Then there is a second victim of the same poison. The much younger wife of a reclusive businessman also dies. She was at the same party as Alice and standing with the Brackton and his wife. Then Brackton's wife is sent the same poison but doesn't drink it since she's been warned.

As Alice investigates, she sees the growing tensions between the various ethnic groups coming to New York in the early 20th Century. Between the Irish and Italian gangs, the Jewish immigrants, and the blacks, New York is a hotbed of change. Old New Yorkers represented by a club they have formed are against all the changes. For a while it looks like the murders were related to the club membership.

I really enjoy the historical setting of this mystery. I am also a big fan of Alice Roosevelt who at eighteen is brave, bold, and more than a little outrageous. St. Clair has his hands full trying to keep Alice safe and is also a great guide and companion for her.

I can't wait for Alice and St. Clair's next case. Fans of historical mysteries will be very pleased with this wonderful story. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 10, 2018 |
Body In The Ballroom is the second book in the Alice Roosevelt Mystery series.

I enjoy reading historical mysteries and this was a very entertaining series. Extremely interesting and well-developed characters. It was easy to see that the author spent time researching the times and life of the citizens of this country in the early 1900’s. The series centers around eighteen-year-old Alice Roosevelt, daughter of President Teddy Roosevelt and Alice’s bodyguard and former Rough Rider, Joseph “Cowboy” St. Clair. St. Clair certainly is a busy man, not only guarding the President’s daughter but keeping Alice out of trouble.

Alice and St. Clair have returned to the home of Mrs. Cowles, the President’s sister, New York City. Alice has returned to the city to attend the debut ball of Rutledge family’s daughter, Philadelphia. As people are gathered around a punch bowl, Lynley Brackton’s wife hands him a glass of punch and shortly after drinking it became very ill and quickly passed away. The Rutledge’s family physician is called and he feels that Brackton was poisoned by wolfsbane. It is soon learned that Rutledge has a garden that in fact does have some wolfsbane growing, which has been broken into and some of the plants show signs of recently being disturbed. Against his better judgment St. Clair agrees to help Alice investigate the murder.

They begin to wonder if Brackton might not have been the intended victim and they also need to look into an organization called XVII a group who is against anyone who is not a White Protestant and whose family has been in New York for 4 or 5 generations.

The book is well-plotted and told story. I enjoyed all the characters, but especially Alice and St. Clair. The interaction between the two was very enjoyable. Alice will put a smile on your face many times. Plus you will find yourself thinking that poor St. Clair, what will Alice get him into next.

I will definitely be watching for the next book in this enjoyable series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 5, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,516,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible