The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware

The Death of Mrs. Westaway

by Ruth Ware

Hal isn't doing very well. Her mother died in a hit and run a few years ago and Hal is not quite getting by reading tarot cards on a pier in Brighton, England. She's in debt to a loan shark when she receives a letter telling her she's named in a will. But the woman named is not Hal's grandmother. In desperation, Hal decides to go to Cornwall and attempt to claim this inheritance that isn't hers.

This is a thriller of an old-fashioned kind with a gothic flavor, from the old house to the hostile housekeeper and the many secrets each member of the family are keeping from each other and from Hal, who stumbles around, trying to not get caught out. It's a fun, fast-paced read that hangs together as long as the reader doesn't think about it too much. A fun book for a rainy weekend, but I doubt I'll remember it in a few months. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Feb 27, 2019 |
Ending was not that much of a surprise.... ( )
  francesanngray | Feb 15, 2019 |
Sometimes I read a book just because I like the title and cover, usually it doesn't turn out to be as good as it looks, this is not one of those times. What a wonderful book! This book has it all, a good old dark mystery, an old miserable woman who knows so much, but won't tell, a tarot card reader, a totally dysfunctional family, a wonderful subplot involving a loan shark and it takes place in miserable, chilly weather in Cornwall, what more could I ask for?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's full of twists and surprises, mystery and intrigue. I rarely give out 5 stars, I did today.
1 vote LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
I picked this up primarily based on the reviews, but I found that it disappointed. The bare bones story was compelling enough, but the denouement was predictable to say the least, but my biggest problem was with her writing and/or the editing of the book. There was so much repetition & so many inconsistencies that I wanted to scream. I´d like to see her rewrite this with a better editor peeking over her shoulder. ( )
  thiscatsabroad | Feb 13, 2019 |
I loved this book, just the mixture of a perfect story, mystery, old mansions and a snow storm.....shades of Rebecca, but totally different in its own way.... ( )
  ccheripka | Feb 2, 2019 |

Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret
Never to be told

"On a day that begins like any other, Hal receives a mysterious letter bequeathing her a substantial inheritance. She realizes very quickly that the letter was sent to the wrong person--but also that the cold-reading skills she's honed as a tarot card reader might help her claim the money. Soon, Hal finds herself at the funeral of the deceased, where it dawns on her that there is something very, very wrong about this strange situation and the inheritance at the center of it"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible