Get On Your Bike by Joukje Akveld

Get On Your Bike

by Joukje Akveld

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When you first open the pages to this book, the illustrations are a reminder of Richard Scarry works. It provides a lot to look at and discuss with children as they discover new things in the illustrations. As far as the story itself, I would say it was a little drawn out and lacked detail. The story details two friends who get into a disagreement. One of the friends rides off on his bike to let his emotions simmer down. Although the lesson behind the story is one that is worth reading about, a good portion of this book is repetitive. But even with a storyline that is a little lack luster, I think this is a good read for children. You can still discuss and discover many topics from the great illustrations with wonderful detail. ( )
  coastandanchor | Jun 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My children and I really enjoyed this book, both the story and the detailed illustrations. Two friends got in an argument and one takes time to cool off by going for a bike ride. What a nice lesson that time in nature and time exercising can help you feel better. ( )
  TheOaksPCW | Apr 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Something about this book didn't work for me as well as I wanted it to.

The illustrations are fun to look at, if quite busy. They take on a "look-and-find" quality that is fun as its own activity, but are a bit distracting or overwhelming for a simple readaloud approach.

The story itself is quite simple, and the message is useful: physical activity is a good way to diffuse tension, and apologizing for disagreements is a good habit.

Perhaps it took a bit too long to make the point: the bike ride does seem to be rather a cross-country trek. The age of the characters is unclear: at first I presumed they were quite small, but no preschooler would plausibly travel such a distance, and there are no other family members depicted in the home setting where they eat dinner and make up, as if they are roommates or partners, which suggests that they are adults. The lack of clarity on that point probably bothers me more than it should and likely more than it would bother younger readers.

I'll have to revisit it again when my kids are a couple years older and see how they like it.
  theresearcher | Apr 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this to my third grade class and they were not impressed. It was strange according to them. Why was someone so young allowed to ride his bike all over the town? It didn't make sense to them. Logical young minds. ( )
  grnpickle | Mar 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This oversized picture book features a simple story of two friends who argue, sending one of them storming off in a huff. He hops on his bike and rides, fuming, through many pages of richly detailed city scenes. As his route takes him out into the country, the peaceful landscape is echoed in our main character's calmer mood. By the time he arrives back where he started, both he and his friend are ready to apologize. The book does a wonderful job of teaching young children one way of dealing with conflict; the argument that begins the book is left deliberately vague, allowing a truly universal interpretation of the friends' fight. The illustrations are charmingly rendered, with many details to discover. ( )
  nmorrissey | Mar 10, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joukje Akveld's book Get on Your Bike is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,014,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible