The Story of Us by Dani Atkins

The Story of Us

by Dani Atkins

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
"The Story of Us" was a nice, but not great, read. The book started strongly, and finished well, but it was the middle that the plot was at its weakest. Emma and Richard started to annoy me. Richard, because he didn't understand the meaning of the word 'no' and Emma, who I thought was going to be a strong protagonist, because she kept making stupid decisions.

However, overall, a sweet, but predictable story about love, forgiveness and moving on. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 9, 2016 |
On the night of Emma's hen party an accident happens that is sure to not only turn her entire world upside down but change the course her future was set to take. On the night of the accident she is saved by none other than handsome American Jack, who becomes smitten with Emma. Does Emma have it in her to be able to forgive and move on without turning cold and bitter?

I wasn't digging this book too much. I found that the story was slow and dull up until the 120-160 page and up until that point couldn't bring myself to read it. After page 120-ish I became gripped by the story and just couldn't put the book down, it became almost a page turner.

I found most of the characters increasingly annoying. Richard was just so full of himself all of the time and that really irritated me. There were times when I thought Emma was going to be a great protagonist but then she'd make a complete U-turn and question herself and her decisions. She was too busy trying to make everybody else happy and then she'd think of her happiness and switch back. Jack was the only good character in the book. He was fantastic and that's all that needs to be said about him. He had charm, humour, looks, everything! Monique, on the other hand, was f*cking AWESOME!

I loved all the parts that involved Jack. I think he made the book better than it would have been had he not been in it. He made it interesting and I was constantly laughing at his humour. On the other hand I just wanted to punch Richard every time he was mentioned because he was just so arrogant and a slimeball.

I would have gave this book more than 3 stars but overall I just didn't find the story that great. I found for me it was just a bit flat too often throughout the book to justify a 4 or 5 star rating. ( )
  Chicalicious | Dec 28, 2014 |

Emma Marshall can't wait to marry her childhood sweetheart, Richard. But then a tragic accident changes everything, and introduces a stranger, Jack, into her life. Gorgeous and mysterious, Jack is like no-one Emma has met before. But Richard is the man she loves....Two different men. Two different destinies. How will Emma end her story?

You'd think a day when your whole life changes should be marked in some way. But for Emma, it wasn't. She had been celebrating her hen night, a low-key evening out with friends, when the car accident happened. Though Emma survived, her memories are hazy. Sometimes she can hear snatches of her friend's screams, or smell the fumes of petrol. Most of all though, she sees the shadowy man who saved her life. No-one else saw him. But he was definitely there. And as he pulled her from the wreckage, he promised he would always stay right behind her. But where is he now? As Emma prepares for the wedding she'd always dreamed of, she can't help dreaming of someone else.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,813,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible